Intermorphic brings us Wotja 4.7 with AB3. Here’s what’s new:
This is a feature update that adds support for Audiobus 3 audio routing (also works great with AudioShare). Thanks for the customer feedback and we hope you enjoy it!
- NEW FEATURES:
Added support for Audiobus 3 audio routing
- On iPhone 6S and later Wotja now runs at 48 kHz / 24 kHz (toggle in Settings); this is to match the underlying audio hardware rate
Note: The Audiobus Latency Control setting will likely need to be set to 1024 frames. We make the same recommendation if using AudioShare or other external audio recording app. When using Audiobus 3 in e.g. AudioShare, you need to select an Audiobus Intermediate Out channel, e.g. 0.
- Fixed: Latency stepper was not visible in Dark mode
You probably know that I like Intermorphic’s stuff. So I’m really pleased to see even more goodies come to Wotja in version 4.6, which follows hot on the heals of 4.5 only just over 2 weeks ago. Here’s what’s new.
This is a feature update that adds support for WAV/MIDI mixdown recording. It is available from the “Mixdown & Recordings” screen accessed from Mix tab Action menu. Thanks for the customer feedback and we hope you enjoy it!
- Mixdown & Recordings screen.
- Set the number of bars (1-100) you want to record and make 44KHz stereo WAV or MIDI mixdown recordings.
- Recordings can be previewed in the “Mixdown & Recordings” screen.
- Recordings are saved to the Wotja iCloud folder or Wotja folder depending on the “Use iCloud” setting (iOS > Settings > Wotja > Use iCloud).
Note: Mixdown recordings are not live recordings and they are made as fast as your device allows. To be made they require sufficient device memory to be available.
- Fixed issue introduced in 4.5 related to create playlist file.
- Fixed Play/Stop issue for VoiceOver users.
- Minor bug fixes.
I’m a big fan of Intermorphic’s work and have been since they were first on Windows Mobile with miniMIXA. So it’s good to see the latest incarnation of their generative solution keep going from strength to strength.
Here’s what’s new in 4.5:
This is a feature update that both further improves the default colour scheme of the UI and also adds a dark mode theme. Thanks for the customer feedback and we hope you enjoy it!
- Dark mode color theme (Settings > Color Theme)
- Greatly improved the (default) Light mode color theme.
- Fixed the issue with Play/Stop button disappearing on occasion (oops, sorry!)
- Made the ISE EQ, LFO and Amp icons a little lighter as we now use black text on them.
- Added a Files icon to the Settings screen accessed from the Settings tab.
- Added a new “Voices” button to the top of the Network panel to take you to the Voice parameter editing screen.
- Add Voice numbering to the Voice parameter editing screen page control.
- Improved display in the Cut-ups section.
- Several bug fixes.
Intermorphic brings another big update to their flagship product. This update is mainly about improving productivity and usability (incorporating 3 creativity apps into one was tricky!) and bringing back a revised Wotja for Apple Watch.
- Wotja for Apple Watch returns!
- The new Apple Watch app is much simpler than before, and this time the focus is around playing/stopping the currently open Wotja mix or playlist or creating a random mix based on Wotja’s mix randomisation settings (3D Touch menu).
- There are now only 3 core Tab views: Cut-Up – for creating cut-up, Mix – for creating generative music mixes and Display – for setting how a Wotja is displayed. Parameters previously accessed via a Piece tab are now accessed via the Piece/Mix button in the Network panel; Parameters previously accessed via a Voice tab are now accessed by tapping on the relevant voice in the Network panel.
- Play/Stop button: now in the bottom tab bar making it accessible from every screen; playing time is displayed below it.
- Settings button: now in the bottom tab bar making it accessible from every screen and now includes access to Mix Randomisation settings.
- Mix Tab: We decluttered the UI by finding solutions that let us remove the bottom toolbar and top status bar.
- Mix Tab: Voice and Track mixing segments in the top RHS panel selector have been combined into one allowing the RHS Panel expander button to be moved next to the panel selector.
- Mix Tab: A selected cell is now indicated with a cell border; tap a selected cell to display the Template selector.
- Mix Tab: The Tools button has been moved to the top Menu bar which now includes a handy button for mix randomisation.
- Bug fixes.
Here’s what’s new in Wotja:
This update to Wotja is mainly focused on the Cut-Up feature, which we’ve made much more flexible and powerful. We’ve also re-organised the UI a small amount; we’ve added some new menu items when you press the “Add” button, and we’ve taken the opportunity to improve the order of the tab buttons in the main screen.
NEW CUT-UP TEXT FEATURES:
- Syllables: The rule format has been extended to allow specifying how many syllables you want in a line; this is great for creating Haiku (which are 3 line poems with 5,7,5 syllables) as well as lyric ideas perhaps to fit to a number of notes.
- The rule format now supports value ranges for word and syllables and also naming of rules.
- A new rule editor is included that makes it easier to create new rules and modify existing ones.
- A new (non-editable) Wotja Word Database is included which can be selected instead of the user editable Wotja Word Bank and helps come up with some more unusual word combinations. You can configure this using the new controls in the Library screen (get to it by pressing the button to the left of the slider in the main cut-up screen).
- A new “Sources Only” cut-up mode that analyses the structure of the Sources text and lets you create cut-up with a more natural feel; in this mode the cut-up is created from Sources ONLY and it uses the active rule (ignoring syllables) but EOL rhyming and word locks are ignored. You can select this using the new button to the left of the main “Cut-Up” button.
- Revised the “Create New” menu items to make it MUCH easier to get going right away. *Wotja Cut-Up* – create a new cut-up without music (you can create a mix later if you want); *Wotja Mix (automatic)* – create a new random mix based on the Randomisation Settings without having to go via the Templates dialog; *Wotja Mix (manual)* – create a mix the old way where you can manually select a file or use a random selection from the tagged paks;* Wotja List (playlist)* – as before.
- Renamed the “Words” tab to “Cut-Up” and moved it to be the first tab.
- Renamed the “Design” tab to “Mix”.
- Changed the icon for Mix and Voices tab.
- In the “Cut-Up” tab renamed the “Cut-Ups” section to “Saved”.
- In Cut-Up Create panel added a new Lock All/Unlock All action menu item.
- When exporting a cut-up to a tweet, allow the background image in the Wotja file (if any) to be appended to the tweet; the cut-up text can be “baked into” the image if the Display > Text setting is set to “Show Text from Cut-Up”; this is great fun for making and sharing Haiku!
- Cut-Up character counter now also shows syllables used in each line.
- Added new “Haiku” rule to the included default cut-up rules.
- A blank line can now be added to a cut-up by setting the line rule to 0.
- Bug fixes
Wotja on the app store:
As a long time fan of Intermorphic’s work it’s nice to see the development of their apps into Wotja (pro and subscription). With version 4.2 they’ve brought in the functionality from Liptikl (an app I had a lot of fun with) directly into Wotja. This is pretty cool. Everything is now in one place and it makes a lot of sense.
Anyway, they can explain it much better than I can. Here’s what they’ve got to say about version 4.2.
NEW CUT-UP TEXT FEATURE:
The Cut-Up Text Editor app that was branded Liptikl 2 for iOS is now fully integrated into Wotja and accessible via a new “Words” tab. It can be useful for helping to break “Writer’s Block” and is a great fit for the reflective music that Wotja creates. Amongst many other things it can randomly select words drawn from a word pool comprising up to 5 different bodies of text and/or an editable User Word Library and/or an editable Wotja Word Bank. Of the cut-up it creates, it lets you lock words you want to keep before you randomise again and lets you select on-screen cut-up alternatives to quickly change single words. See the updated Wotja User Guide.
- The 3 Cut-Up sub-views (Sources, Create, Cut-ups) are selected via a segment control at the top in the Words tab.
- Wotja can open Liptikl files (for it to find them just copy them to your Wotja iCloud folder) but an *active subscription tier is required for the Liptikl File data to be utilised or resaved*.
- Liptikl files display with special red icon until resaved.
- Once resaved as a Wotja file, the thumbnail shows the cut-up text in red on a white background (i.e. the standard Liptikl colour scheme) meaning they will start-off look pretty much as they did in Liptikl for iOS.
- When a new Random Mix is created any TTM voice can now be populated with random words coming from the user-editable Wotja Word Bank, the number of words being added determined by two new Randomization properties found in Randomisation Settings.
- The TTM Text Editor (Voices > TTM > Text) now includes a powerful Randomise facility that lets you either Shuffle Words (those already there), Shuffle Text (jumble up the characters) or populate with new Random Words, these being selected by the ITE from a word pool consisting of the user-editable Wotja Word Bank and any Sources or optional Word Library you might have configured for that file.
CHANGES / IMPROVEMENTS:
- Design tab moved to far left and Design tab moved to far right.
- Now we’ve included Words tab for the Cut-Up Editor, the TTM icon in Design Screen panel selector has been changed to better represent TTM (Text to Music).
- So you can set what text is shown in the File thumbnail we changed the “Text” button in the Display Tab to display a pop up menu: “Show Text from TTM Voices”, “Show Text from Words” and “Change Text Color”. When “Show Text from TTM Voices” is selected, you can prevent that text from displaying in Voices > TTM > Display.
- To make it easier to create interesting new mixes right from the off, the Templates screen “Random?” toggle defaults to on for a new installation and with Paks “WJ4 TTM Players” and “WJ4 Gen Backings” selected.
- We have yet to figure-out how to make the locking of words in the Words “Cut-Up” section accessible to VoiceOver users. That might take a while to resolve.
Please provide them via our forum or through our website contact form. We’re always improving Wotja, so thanks for your support and interest!
We have created a iOS bundle to help aid Noatikl, Mixtkl, Liptikl for iOS and previous bundle customers who may be considering whether or not to transition to Wotja Pro 2017 for iOS, a *non-subscription version* of Wotja. See https://intermorphic.com/bundles.
WotJa Pro on the app store: