Another pretty big update for TonalEnergy Chromatic Tuner and Metronome. Here’s what’s new:
Feature updates and bugfixes and for v1.5.2:
- Added auto-transpose feature back in for sound selection
- Improved bluetooth speaker output support
- Added option to allow bluetooth mic input, disabled by default so that most bluetooth speakers will work as desired. If the mic input from a bluetooth device is desired, enable this option. Removed the output-only option because this new option gets rid of the need for it.
- Arrow button in top-left of record sidebar now closes it (as well as swipe left)
- Added visual metronome flashing to tab bar on all pages
- Added 3D Touch shortcuts to start on specific page
- Add quarter/half note triplets subdivisions to /4 and /2 meters
- File browsing behavior updated, doesn’t auto-play now when selecting (unless already playing).
- Added Trim feature which trims selected range to new file or replacing existing
- Added “Select” button which lets you multiple select items for export or deletion. If multiple items are selected for export it will make a ZIP archive and export that.
- Added option to make compressed audio (AAC) files when exporting audio
- Playing audio files keeps app alive in the background (like the metronome)
- Added duration indicator when recording
- Added introductory information for some features.
- Some VoiceOver fixes, and added special tuning data text capture feature (double-tap and hold target tuner on Tuner page to toggle it on/off, only when VoiceOver is on). This was requested by a blind user.
- Fixed multi-touch issue on pitch wheel
- Various metronome fixes
Apple Watch app changes:
- Reordered watch pages, to focus on most likely used features (metronome)
- Added meter and subdiv adjusting feature to Watch app
- Added Sound page to Watch app. Set the desired note with the note/octave pickers, or pressing the current tuner indicator button to set it to the most recently heard note.
- Added dedicated haptic count-in feature on watch (force touch on met page). This is independent from the phone metronome.
- Added Met Presets page to watch. Force press to change preset groups. Changing preset with the digital crown dial will go into affect when met is started (or if changed while already started). Swiping up/down also changes preset.
I think that it’s rare to see such a massive update for any app. TonalEnergy is now optimized for all current iOS screens and orientations, including slide over and split screen on recent iPads.
What’s new in the Target Tuner?
- Enhanced color display throughout the app
- Expanding smiley face for rewarding in-tune playing
- Added Instant pitch reference using:
- Pitch name (available on Sound and Tuner screens)
- Chromatic Wheel (now also available on the Target Tuner screen)
- Octave changing capability
- Added Pitch Tracker which illustrates percentage of time played in each tuning zone
- Expanded Auto Reference Tone choices
- Added Vocal Mode
- Redefined Mode (wind/strings) descriptors
- Expanded number of Range (Skill) parameters
- Added quick access pop-up for transposition settings
- Enhanced Damping settings
What’s new in the Metronome?
- Created a stand alone metronome page
- Added quick access drop down metronome control panel to all screens
- Created feature-rich visual metronome
- Added ability to create Presets
- Added ability to create Preset Groups (Setlists) using Preset Sequence feature
- Added ability to create accelerandos and ritards in Preset Groups
- Expanded number of meters, now with over 30 meters available
- Expanded number of subdivision patterns, now with over 30 from which to choose
- Expanded the number of metronome sounds, now up to 20
- Added Ableton Link feature to sync multiple devices over common network
- Added Vocal count-ins with a multitude of options. Now you can choose
- Ability to select either a Male or female voice
- Ability to set accent notes
- Ability to choose which notes are counted aloud
- Ability to set how long the vocal counting continues
- Flexibility of when to use vocal count-ins in Presets and Preset Groups
What’s new on the Strings and Guitar Tuner page?
- Added quicker access to the Strings Tuner
- Added a string and guitar friendly tuner bar
- Created a faster and more efficient way to tune open strings
What’s new on the Keyboard page?
- Now available on both iPhones and iPads
- Changed keyboard resizing method to pinch
- Added tuner bar
- Added a scrolling feature to change keyboard position
- Added a keyboard scroll lock button to prevent unwanted motion
What’s new on the Analysis page?
- Added quicker toggle between Analysis screens
- Redesigned visual aspects for ease of reading and interpretation
- Increased speed of pitch recognition
- Integrated Target Tuner colors to Pitch Plot
- Demonstrates silence by dotted white lines
- Integrated tuner bar
- Spectral Analysis
- Modified hertz range
- Harmonic Energy
- Added pinch feature to expand or shrink views of partials
- Identified names of first eight partial note names
- Displayed cent off-sets for the first eight partials
What’s new in Recording?
- Swipe from the left edge of screen for immediate access to show recording sidebar
- Added video recording and playback, an industry first in tuner apps
- Added ability to superimpose the Target Tuner over the video image
- Improved import/export file sharing capabilities for all recordings
- Streamlined editing file options
What’s new with the Apple Watch?
The TonalEnergy Tuner and Metronome can now be viewed and controlled from your Apple Watch!
What’s new in Audio Options?
- Full microphone input source and channel selection
- Added input gain control to address different practice environments
- Added internal instrument volume control