It’s been a big day today, firstly seeing the arrival of Cubasis 2 (plus the LE version), and now with n-Track Studio 8 arriving too.
This is a big and very significant shift for n-Track is a lot of ways.
- Firstly, this is a big update with a lot of new functionality in it so it’s well worth reading all of the detail below.
- Secondly, n-Track 8 is now an AU host, which makes it one of only a few in that category
- Finally, and this is really different, n-Track 8 is free, but is using a subscription model for pricing. This is a real shift for mobile music and needs a little thinking about.
So what do we think about subscription models?
Well firstly I’d like to point out that this isn’t something entirely new. In actual fact when Sunvox first arrived on Palm OS is used a subscription model. Not many people will remember that at all (I’m looking at you Jo), but it worked like that for a while. Secondly, this kind of model is actually starting to gain ground in the desktop world, with Splice launching their ‘rent-to-own’ model recently.
Personally I think it’s a model that’s worth exploring. If you’ve got a project that demands the pro features in n-Track 8 you could use those for a month or two then scale back. If anything it’s probably more flexible than paying up front for an app where you’re not going to use all of the features, or indeed buying an IAP only to find that it doesn’t really suit you.
It’ll be interesting to see how this is accepted by the wider community, but I’m positive about it, and if anything, I’d like to see a few more apps go down this route. For now, take a look a the new app’s description, grab it (it’s free and universal) and tell me what you think of the model.
n-Track Studio 8, all the detail you could want!
n-Track Studio 8 turns your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch into a complete recording studio. Record and playback a virtually unlimited number of audio and MIDI tracks, mix them during playback and add effects. Edit your song and share it with your friends, or join the Songtree community and jam with other artists.
HOW IT WORKS:
Record a base track with the built-in mic or an external sound card, add other audio tracks or create a melody using the internal keyboard or the built-in virtual instruments.
Import a groove or create it using the step sequencer, use the mixer to adjust levels, pan, apply equalization and add effects, save or share the recording directly from your device to your friends
- Stereo and mono audio tracks
- Virtually unlimited number of tracks (max 11 tracks without in-app purchases)
- Group and Aux channels
- MIDI tracks with builtin synth featuring 128 General MIDI instrument sounds
- Pianoroll MIDI editor
- Step Sequencer
- On-screen MIDI keyboard
- EQ with 2D and 3D Spectrum analyzer + chromatic tuner*
- Import existing tracks from your iTunes library
- Reverb, Echo, Chorus+Flanger, Tremolo, Pitch Shift, Phaser, – Tube-Amp and Compression effects can be added to any track and master channel*
- Automate track volumes and pan using volume and pan envelopes
- Supports the new AudioUnit plug-in standard: open 3rd party effects and instruments inside the app, without switching to another app*
- Audiobus input and output: you can send audio from other apps to n-Track, play your favorite instrument app and record the output inside n-Track alongside the device mic/line input. Each Audiobus app can be recorded to a separate track*
- Interapp audio: receive audio from instrument apps, use other apps as effects or host n-Track inside another app*
- Share your recordings on Facebook
- Collaborate to create music with other musicians with the integrated Songtree online music making community
- Quick one touch drums and bass grooves tracks
- Built-in metronome
- 64 bit double precision floating point audio engine*
- Internal audio routing
- Support for multichannel external audio devices on the iPad: record 4 or more tracks simultaneously from pro-audio devices such as the RME Babyface, Fireface, Focusrite Scarlett etc.
- Support for multiple audio output when using compatible USB devices*
- Record 16, 24 or 32 bits audio files*
- Set sampling frequency up to 192 kHz (frequencies above 48 kHz require an external audio device)
- Sync with other apps or external devices using MIDI clock and MTC sync, master & slave*
- Choose microphone on multi-mic devices and set microphone polar pattern (e.g. cardiod, omnidirectional)
- Allows monitoring and processing live audio input with near-zero latency
- AudioCopy 2.0 allows transferring audio files between compatible apps
- Support for DropBox and SoundCloud
Some features require one of the two available in-app subscriptions levels:
- Length: 1 month
- Price: $0.99 for 1 month
- What you get:
- Unlimited audio and MIDI tracks (Free edition is limited to 8 audio tracks, 1 MIDI track and 2 step-sequencer tracks)
- Unlocks all the available effects (Free edition has Reverb, Compression, Echo and Chorus)
- Unlimited number of effects per channel (Free editon has up to 2)
- Length: 1 month
- Price: $1.99 for 1 month
- What you get:
- 64 bit audio engine
- Export in 32 and 64 bit uncompressed (wav) format (the Free and Standard edition are limited to 16 or 24 bit wav)
- 3D frequency spectrum view
Get n-Track Studio 8 on the app store now: