Tabletop is built exclusively for the iPad to be expressive, playable and fun. Both professional artists and those with no knowledge of music production can jump right in and start sketching out ideas or composing entire songs. Electronic musician Paul Salva says, “It took no time at all for me to acclimate. I had literally never touched Tabletop before, and within minutes I had some crazy stuff rocking.” To answer any questions about how the app or any of its devices function, Tabletop comes with a built-in user guide.
Users can expand their studio at any time, buying only the gear they need from a growing catalog. Tabletop is available at launch for a substantially discounted price of $4.99 and includes 9 of 15 available devices:
- RS3 – Polyphonic Keyboard
- Gridlok – Touchpad Sampler
- M8RX – Tone Matrix
- Filtr LP – Low-Pass Filter Effect
- SpinBack – Turntable Player
- Mr. O – Master Output
- Goblin MX8 – Eight-Channel Mixer
- T101-Triggerator – Sequencer/Master Controller
- Recorder M2 – Input Recorder
The following devices not included in the launch special are available as in-app purchases:
- Ekko – Delay Effect
- Filtr BP – Band-Pass Filter Effect
- Verve – Reverb Effect
- Xpand – Chorus/Flanger Effect
- Goblin MX4-FX – Four-Channel Mixer with Sends
- XFade – Crossfading Mixer
- In addition to the myriad of devices, some of Tabletop’s features include:
Nearly 300 unique sounds including multisample instruments, loops, and phrases. Record sequences, arrange into songs.
- Adjustable quantization (pre- and post-record)
- Recordable parameter automation
- Overdub and replace record modes
- Trigger sequences and patterns live
- Sampling via internal mic and line in
- Adjustable tempo via tap or dial
- Import/export sounds via iTunes File Transfer
- Support for imported .mid phrases
- Undo history
- 44Khz, studio-quality audio
- WIST compatibility (Korg’s Wireless Sync-Start Technology)
- Import sounds from dozens of apps with AudioPaste
The full list of technical specifications is available at http://retronyms.com/featurelist.html. Retronyms will continue to add features and devices, and the company plans to work with artists, developers, hardware companies, and producers who would like to contribute additional content. Interested parties should contact email@example.com for more information.
Tabletop: Available in the App Store for $4.99.
Requires iPad or iPad 2 running iOS 4.2 or higher.