Not content with their already excellent apps Blocs and Launchpad, Novation have brought a new app to add to their stable. Groovebox – Beats & Synths Music Studio arrived this week and it marks a shift in apps of this genre.
I first heard about Novation’s latest app back at SuperBooth and I really liked the idea behind it and also what they were trying to achieve too. Since then I’ve been testing the app and really enjoying it, and I hope you’ll really love it too.
You can check out the app for yourself of course, it’s free (with IAPs), and it’s universal too. The main thing that Groovebox does that’s different from other apps that help almost anyone to get into making music is that it helps you take the first step. With Groovebox you don’t have to start making patterns all on your own, Groovebox will give you a headstart, and I think that’s going to make a big difference to lots of people who haven’t mad music before but would like to.
Here are the app’s details:
If you love making electronic music, you’ll love Groovebox. Enter an inspiring world of music production on your iPhone & iPad.
Groovebox is a free, beautifully designed music studio app packed with inspiring synths and drum machines. In minutes you’ll be making beats, melodies, and playing with world-class instruments. Expand your own collection with more sounds and instruments available in the store. From the creators of Launchpad, Groovebox helps you produce music on iPhone & iPad.
A BEATS & SYNTH MUSIC STUDIO
Play with touchable instruments to quickly create your own beats and melodies, or draw in notes. Need inspiration? Groovebox has hundreds of patterns and sounds to get you started. Two powerful synthesisers, designed in partnership with Novation, deliver deep retro basslines and analogue harmonic melodies. The modern drum machine, with expanding drumkit library, will turn Groovebox into your go-to beat production studio.
SYNTHS DESIGNED WITH NOVATION
Designed in partnership with Novation, legendary synth pioneers, Groovebox packs a world-class sound. Each instrument uses a new powerful synth engine capable of recreating classic warm analogue sounds and rich modern harmonics.
EASY TO START, DEEP ENOUGH TO MASTER
Groovebox is designed to kick-start ideas, but it has serious features for artists and producers too. The advanced synth parameters* let you sculpt your own sounds. Included iPad mixer, note sequencer, key and scale modes let you control your sound. Export your sounds easily to a laptop to produce further. Sync to other apps or a laptop with Ableton Link. Connect using Audiobus, Inter-App Audio and even Export to Ableton Live seamlessly.
- Discover and build ideas – Quickly explore sounds with hundreds of melody and rhythm patterns
- Play touchable instruments – Create your own melodies and beats
- Three powerful instruments – Drumbox, Retrobass and Poly-8
- Build beats – Play drum pads or keys, sequence notes or use patterns
- Sound innovation – Synths developed in partnership with synth pioneers Novation
- Expand your sounds – Regular, fresh-content drumpacks, presets and patterns*
- Production-ready sounds – Crafted by world-class sound designers and artists
- Extendable Instruments – Expose more tweakable synth controls
- Sequence your music – Draw notes and build patterns instead of playing them
- Stay in time and key – Choose from any tempo, key or musical scale
- Mix your music – 8-track mixer on iPad. Instrument focus mixer on iPhone.
- Share your music – Easily create a mix of your music to share with others
*Requires In-App Purchase
- Jam with others – Audiobus, Inter-App Audio, Ableton Link and Ableton Export
- Ableton Export – Easily send your project to Ableton Live
- Full scale support – All keys and major, minor and modes supported
- Project management – Rename, duplicate and delete
- iPad Pro support – Optimised to use the entire iPad Pro screen
- Send your ideas to a laptop – Batch export your pads as a .zip file, or use Ableton Export
- Bluetooth speaker supported
Groovebox is compatible with iPad 4th Generation, iPad Air 1/2, iPad Pro 9.7/12.9, iPad Mini 2/3/4, iPod Touch 6th Generation, iPhone 5/5C/5S, iPhone 6/6S, iPhone 6S/6S Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus. Requires iOS 10.
Groovebox is on the app store and is free (with IAPs):