Not so much a video about the software but still well worth watching, and it does give you a few insights into using it too.
I have to admit to liking the whole thing of being able to make strange little noises on my iPhone in a few a minutes here and there. Not always a song, not always a coherent sound, and often in an unusual way. One of the more esoteric apps I’ve found is Barcodas, which lets you make a small tune from a barcode and then play it. It’s that simple.
You can post up your Barcodas music into facebook if you wish too. I like apps like this. I’m not sure of why, but I do. Hence this occasional series in making noises.
I think that lots of us didn’t believe that this would actually arrive, but it is here, on the app store right now! Here’s all you need to know:
Auria – the 48-track digital audio recording system for iPad.
The mobile DAW you’ve been dreaming of has finally arrived. Auria is a 48-track digital recording system designed from the ground up for the iPad. With professional-level features like AAF import/export, and optional third-party plugin support from names like PSPaudioware, Overloud, Fab Filter and Drumagog (available via In-App purchase), Auria clearly sets a new standard for mobile recording.
- 48 tracks of simultaneous playback of stereo or mono files. (24 tracks on iPad 1)
- Up to 24 tracks of simultaneous recording when used with compatible USB audio interfaces (Camera Connection Kit required)
- Supports sample rates of 44.1KHz, 48KHz and 96KHz (iPad 1 supports only 44.1KHz and 48KHz)
- Vintage-inspired ChannelStrip on every channel by PSPAudioware includes Expander, Multiband EQ and Compressor
- MasterStrip on all subgroup and master channels featuring PSPAudioware BussPressor, EQ and Mastering Limiter
- 64 bit double-precision floating point mixing engine
- Third party VST effect plugin support available via in-app purchase (only iOS-version plugins are supported. All plugins must be purchased through the in-app store)
- AAF import and export allows transferring complete sessions between popular DAWs like Logic, Pro Tools, Nuendo, Samplitude and more
- Convolution reverb plugin with included IR library
- ClassicVerb reverb plugin included
- StereoDelay and StereoChorus plugins included
- ReTune plugin included for auto pitch correction of vocals
- 8 Assignable subgroups and 2 aux sends
- Powerful waveform editor with features like cut/copy/paste, crossfade, duplicate, separate, gain, normalize, dc offset, reverse, and more
- Flexible snapping tools allow snapping to events, cursor, bars, beats and more
- DropBox, SoundCloud and Audio Copy/Paste support
- Track freeze for minimizing CPU usage
- Full automation support on all controls with graphical editing
- True 100mm faders when used in Portrait Mode
- Optional video import feature allows sample accurate sync of video to an Auria project with adjustable offset times and video export capability
- Timeline ruler options include minutes:seconds, bars:beats, samples and SMPTE time
- Auto-punch mode
- WIST support for wireless syncing of other compatible music apps
- AuriaLink allows two iPads running Auria to play and record in sync, allowing for 96 tracks of playback and 48 tracks of recording
- Full delay compensation on all tracks, subgroups, and aux sends
- Adjustable metering modes, including pre or post fader, RMS and peak
- Adjustable pan laws
- Sample accurate loop function
- Automatic sample rate conversion
- Built-in metronome
iPad 2 or later recommended.
Compatible with all iPad models (iPad 1 has only 24 tracks, 44.1KHz and 48 KHz)
Requires iOS 5.0 or later
USB audio interfaces require Camera Connection Kit
An interesting new app, mainly because of what it’s made in. Here’s the app’s description:
The most complete 909 hardware emulator developed in pure data and libpd:
- 11 sound as in the original hardware
- 128 Programmable patterns
- STEP SEQUENCER with full matrix
- PATTERN MASTER Accent and GLOBAL Accent controllers
- SONG editor, editable pattern sequence (up to 255)
- MASTER SHUFFLE
- TAP TEMPO
- SINGLE TRACK modifiers (attack, decay, snap, tune, tone)
- SONG to MIDI export to iTunes file sharing
- REALTIME Audio recording with iTunes file sharing
- Selectable Background Audio with mix
And, as I mentioned above, the app is free.
Another programming language comes to the iPad. Here’s the app description:
Pythonista brings the Zen of Python™ to your iPad.
Create interactive experiments and prototypes using multi-touch, animations, and sound – or just use the interactive prompt as a very powerful calculator.
Pythonista is also a great tool for learning Python – The interactive prompt helps you explore the language with code completion, the entire documentation is accessible right within the app and you can get started with lots of ready-to-run examples.
- Full-featured code editor with syntax highlighting and basic code completion
- Extended keyboard, designed specifically for Python
- Interactive prompt with code completion and history
- Complete documentation with quick lookup directly from the editor
- Multiple color themes for syntax highlighting
- Includes most of the standard library and additional modules for graphics and sound
- Lots of examples included
The app is priced at $5.49.
This has to be one of the strangest ideas I’ve seen in a long time, and for that very reason I’m drawn to it!
Here’s the app’s description, and it does just speak for itself:
Play a game while making music! Every game event, such as the ball hitting the walls, the bricks or the paddle, can be configured to send OSC messages of your choosing over WIFI. Create your own levels with our level designer. Determine level sequence and number of balls.
BreakOSC! is priced at $0.99.
Synthtopia posts about an awesome development for any modular owners who want to join up their iOS music making with their modular. The ADDAC804 Audio Integrator connects your iPad or iPhone to your modular set up and it looks pretty amazing to me.
More details over at Synthtopia.
I’ve been meaning to post about this for a little while now. This is one of those apps that seems to have aimed at the starter segment of the DJ market, which is a good place to aim.
So if you’ve not decided if you want to use your iPad for DJ’ing, then you might want to give DJ Studio a look as it’s free (with expansion IAPs).
Here’s the app’s description:
Got 2 minutes to make some music? DJ Studio is built to help you find – and release – your Inner DJ.
The idea is simple: We built a powerful DJ App which requires no skill to use and we packed it full of great Loops & Samples from top Artists & DJs in House music styles. Then we folded in some advanced features and premium content options which you can unlock at your own pace.
The result: you’re officially a DJ!
DJ Studio for iPad brings DJ-ing to a different level, for beginners and professionals alike.
- Browse builit-in library of Loop & Samples and drop onto your 4×4 Deck
- Tap Pads to play – auto-sync means you’re always on the Beat
- Manipulate Level, Mute and FX Send for each Pad
- Mixer provides Level/Mute, EQ and FX Send on 4 independent channels
- Delay FX Unit provided will autoset its parameters to match Tempo
- Save your Sets and Record your Live Performances
- Absolutely no experience required
- It’s FREE!
In-App Purchase Options
Once you’ve mastered DJ Studio, you might want to step up your DJ game, so we’ve made the following In-App purchases available:
Pro Features Upgrade
Unlocks limitations on some functions and adds pro-DJ features
- Full (4×4) Pad Matrix: The Free App gives you 2 channels of 4 Pads (2×4) – the Pro Features Upgrade unlocks the full 4×4 Deck
- Save your Sets: The Pro Features Upgrade allows you to save unlimitied Sets, so you can quickly build up ready-to-go material
- Unlimited Recording: Recordings in the Free App are limited to 3 minutes – the Pro Features Upgrade removes the limitation
- Multiple EQ Types: The Free App comes with Low-Pass Filter EQs – the Pro Features Upgrade enables multiple EQ types (Low-pass, High-pass, Parametric)
Pro Content Upgrade
Adds Content to your library, in Loop and long-form Mixtools format
- Beef up your Building Blocks: Get tons more options in Bass, Drum/Music Loops, Percussion, Vocals and FX categories
- Progressive Mixtools Stems: The Mixtools format breaks down tracks by top Artists in progressive stems covering drum grooves, percussion tops, synths, effect builds, breakdowns and drops – saving you time and effort so you can focus on being creative
iOS 5.x or higher and a desire for fun