I had a quick read through this post at HHH (Hand Held Hollywood) and decided that it probably needs slightly more attention as I think there are one or two apps in there that I need to have a look at. That said, if you’re into film making on your iPhone you should have a read of this too.
I think this is going to be really quite amazing to play with, I can’t wait to try it out! Here’s the app’s description …
vidibox is a new and different kind of video remixing app for iPad that lets users create real-time music and video projects from an intuitive drum pad interface.
It gives DJs, VJs, installation artists, digital storytellers, video mashup fans and music lovers the ability to express themselves easily with intuitive, professional quality video and audio mixing.
Designed expressly for iPad, the vidibox interface is extremely easy to use, yet allows for very high quality editing.
- Transparent drum pad interface. Slots can contain audio, video or both.
- Easy media import and arranging via drag and drop to slots.
- Audio and video can be imported separately.
- Play up to 16 tracks simultaneously, freestyle or quantized to the BPM.
- An automatic video composition engine displays multiple videos at once.
- Choose from several video composition layouts.
- Audio and video FX bank.
- Trim and organize media with simple, intuitive gestures.
- Hold, trigger or loop media.
- External screen support to display projects with the app hidden.
- Record videos of performances in real time and easily share them.
- Compress vidibox projects and share them on Dropbox.
- Audiobus support.
- MIDI in/out support via CoreMidi.
vidibox is compatible with all iPad models from iPad 2 up, and demonstrates particularly high performance on the iPad 4th generation, iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina models.
vidibox is priced at $9.99.
vidibox is a new creative application which delivers real-time music and video mixing from an intuitive interface that lets users import, record and play audio and video tracks using a transparent drum pad. It brings new avenues of creative expression to musicians, DJs, VJs, video and digital artists.
More details at trakAx.
I read about this app at TUAW, and even though it’s targeted at children (hey, aren’t we all just big kids?) it looked like fun and I love stop frame stuff so I thought I’d post it.
The ‘must have’ app for making stop motion animations on iPad. Loved by families and educators around the world, Smoovie is the only stop motion animation app to combine precision editing and multiple scenes with instant playback.
Mac Life said “Smoovie’s ease of use makes stop-motion animation a joy and filmmakers and families alike should have fun bringing inanimate objects to life for hours on end.”
** Smoovie requires an iPad with a camera **
- Capture frames from the iPad’s rear facing and front facing cameras.
- Onion Skinning overlays existing frames with live video from the camera, helping you get that next shot just right.
- Instantly play back what you capture – no rendering required.
- Edit existing projects at any time.
- Drag to rearrange content.
- Adjustable playback speed on individual scenes.
- Full cut, copy and paste support.
- Copy and paste images from other apps on your iPad.
- Full undo support.
- Add a soundtrack from your iPad’s music library.
- Capture more content at any time.
- Instant playback – no rendering required.
- Export in high definition.
- Send to the camera roll on your iPad.
- Publish directly to YouTube.
- Watch your creations in Smoovie’s very own virtual cinema.
- Use AirPlay to watch your movies on your HDTV with Apple TV (requires iOS 5).
Designed exclusively for iPad 2 and the new iPad:
- The dual core A5 and A5X processors lets you edit in real time with no rendering required.
- Use either of the iPad’s built in cameras to capture content.
- Use multitouch gestures to browse your library and edit your projects.
- Export to the Camera Roll or use AirPlay to watch your movies on your HDTV with Apple TV (requires iOS 5).
Smoovie’s elegant design makes it child’s play for budding animators to bring their toys to life. And more seasoned enthusiasts will feel equally at home with Smoovie’s simple, fast, yet surprisingly powerful editing tools.
Smoovie is priced at $4.99
If you’re an Android user and want to use your Android device for movie making stuff then it’s worth having a read of this piece over at Handheld Hollywood.
I haven’t covered any film editing apps for a while so I thought this one would be a good place to start off again as it appears to have some truly amazing features for an edit, but for a comparable price $50.
Anyway, I thought I’d mention it for those who are interested. Here’s the description:
TouchEdit is a frame-accurate video editing system for the iPad that uses timecode to export the project to other non-linear systems. To perform edits, users have two monitors—a source and a record monitor—controlled by two corresponding filmstrips. Users control the filmstrips by running their fingers back and forth across them, using gestures to perform edits. TouchEdit’s timeline based editor also enables users to interact directly with the video and eight channels of audio.
Full Feature List:
- Edits with H.264 up to 1080p, MPEG-4 up to 640 by 480, M-JPEG up to 1280 by 720
- Can edit with multiple resolutions and frame rates
- Supports sample rates of 44.1KHz, 48KHz
- Multiple Projects
- Accommodates Multiple Sequences in each Projects
- Eight tracks of Mono or Stereo Sound
- Scrollable Visual Timeline
- Smart selection for Video and Audio Tracks
- Displays Timecode of Clips
- Imports Media from iPad Photos, iTunes Sharing or direct from Dropbox
- Imports Audio from iPad Music
- Includes 60 sample sound fx from Wildfire Post-Production Studios
- Exports QuickTime Videos to iTunes Sharing
- Exports FCPXML (compatible with Final Cut X)
- Uses Touch-Driven Filmstrips to control Source and Record monitors and to perform editing Gestures such as Insert Edits and Overwrite
- Import and Manage Media in Collections (Bins)
- Preview and Inspect Media
- Add Edit Button
- Play/Pause Button and Gesture
- Fullscreen Playback
- Left and Right Scissors buttons to trim head and tail of edits
- Next Edit and Previous Edit Buttons
- Parent Gesture for Match-back
- Open Clip’s Collection gesture
- HDMI Output with full ‘client monitoring’ for supervised sessions (AV Connection Kit required)
- Grease Pencil Mode to Mark In and Out Points
- Multi-Channel Sizable Timeline Display in Portrait
- Eight Channel Audio Mixer
- Audio Patch-bay and Channel Selector
- Advanced Trim Functions: Roll and Ripple
- Lift and Load to Source Monitor
- Help Screens for all Pages
- IPad 2 or later required; iOS 6 required.
For any Final Cut Pro users might find this a handy application to use on their iPads …
PROCUTX for Final Cut Pro X is an iOS iPad application that allows editors to control Final Cut Pro X on their MAC through an iPad.
Built from the ground up to meet the needs of today’s creative editors, PROCUTX breaks free from the menus and tabs to streamline editor tasks. This application gives users control over all the FCPX editing tools in one clean interface, eliminating the need for clicking and searching through the Final Cut Pro X menus. From import to export, PROCUTX can control every step of the FCPX editing process.
- Precision Timeline Scrubbing
- Quick Retiming
- Auto-Correct Color
- Color Grading
- Compound Clip Editing
- Import, Export, and Rendering shortcuts
- Quick Keywording
- Fast access to Tools
- System Volume Control
- Timeline Zooming
- Audio Enhancements
- Record Voiceovers
The app is priced at $24.99
I posted about this book from fellow blogger Taz. Now it’s on iBooks.
Covering everything from structuring story with virtual index cards, to shooting footage with specialized camera apps and accessories, to putting it all together with powerful editing tools, this book will bring novice filmmakers up to speed, and inspire working professionals to rethink their aging workflows. It will take you through the entire filmmaking process, while clearly describing all the best apps & accessories along the way. It will help you understand and unlock the potential packed into every iDevice.
The book is priced at $31.99