DM2 – The Drum Machine hasn’t been around that long (May this year) and already we’re seeing pretty serious updates like this in version 1.2. Here’s what’s new:
- DRUMS : You can save the current drum kit as a separate kit, in the drum kits list
- DRUMS : You can now load a drum kit with or without its effects
- DRUMS : You can now import and export a drum kit (iTunes folder, iCloud drive, Dropbox, etc)
- DRUMS : The Pitch Modulation LFO has now 4 waves to choose from : Sin, Triangle, Sawtooth and Square. They can be synced to the tempo or not. They can triggered on each step or not. The settings are in the EDIT popup of the Pitch Modulation LFO.
- FX: The Delay has a new PING PONG mode (in Master/Aux panel)
+ SONG : You can now import and export a song (iTunes folder, iCloud drive, Dropbox, etc)
- AUDIO ENGINE: Improved Sequencer timing.
- MIDI: PitchBend controls the Beat Repeat effect.
- MIDI: New Midi engine, based on the Midibus Library.
- SONG: fixed some Song loading issue.
- FX: When in AUX mode some selected tracks were wrongly restored when opening the AUX panel.
- FX: In AUX mode Phaser and Chorus were inverted.
- FX: Compressor noise issue fixed.
- AUDIO ENGINE: fixed audio clicks when solo/muting a track.
- AUDIO ENGINE: fixed some audio “slowness” on first step when starting DM2.
- AUDIO ENGINE: fixed some clicks on switching STEREO track on or off.
- AUDIO ENGINE: Pan settings not correctly restored.
- AUDIO ENGINE: with older iPad models (before iPad Air) remove AudioCopy export for compatibility issues.
- Updated Library: AudioCopy 3.4.
- Updated Library: LibPd 0.10
- Updated Library: Audiobus 2.3.2
A new drum machine app arrives, Vatanator SX is a unique drum machine with advanced MIDI functionality. It features 140 built-in presets emulating every classic vintage hardware. It is aimed for simplicity and instant rhythm creation.
Vatanator SX features:
- iOS 7.1 and up compatible
- Record patterns in real-time with quantization, MIDI assignable
- 16/32 steps sequencer with advanced MIDI options
- Fast loading of presets on the fly
- Full MIDI implementation
- Background audio
- Audiobus, Audiobus Remote, Inter-App Audio and Ableton Link support
- Ability to import samples via AudioShare, AudioCopy, Dropbox or iTunes Share
- Real-time effects with XY pad, MIDI assignable and automation
- Song arranger, ability to store a sequence of patterns and play them in order
- 8 channel mixer with volume control and mute/solo for any individual instrument
Vatanator SX costs $4.99 on the app store:
If drums are your thing then you really need to take a look at this app. Drum Session for iPad has only just arrived and even though I’ve not had a great deal of time to play with it I’m already impressed. It has a nice clean interface, intuitive and straightforward, this is the kind of app you can just go to work with.
I’ll be giving it a full work out soon, and I’ll tell you more. For now, here’s the app’s description:
With a library of 3600 editable patterns, loops, and fills, Drum Session is a very fast, simple way to put together a complete drum track.
- Select a pattern
- Drag it onto the timeline
- Press play
- 3600 preset patterns
- 30 complete sets of acoustic drum samples
- Record your own beats
- Piano roll style editing
- MIDI in / out
- Inter-app-audio (IAA)
- Export beats as MIDI or audio files
- Connect to external drum kits or keyboards by MIDI
Drum Session for iPad is on the app store priced at $24.99:
I have to admit that I like the title. It made me chortle slightly, and that’s always a good start. An app with a bit of humour in its name is no bad thing in my book. I also quite like that it looks a bit like a calculator and also reminds me of the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator series too.
I’ve not tried this out, so I can’t tell you if it’s worthwhile or not. However, it is very cheap at just $0.99.
Here are the app’s details:
Pocket size drum machine, perfect for making beats. You can record live with the drum pads and even add simple bass line to the beat. 2 drum kits with 12 tweakable drum sounds and customisable bass sound. Easy to use!
- real synthesised bass sounds
- sampled drum sounds
- export to WAV or MIDI
- real-time parameters
Jack the beat maker is simplified but yet powerful rhythm greater tool.
Jack the beat maker costs $0.99 on the app store now:
A new drum synth is always welcome of course, so Hello Frum! Nice to meet you, from what I can see though this little drum synth doesn’t have AB, IAA, or Link. Perhaps that will come in time. It does however seem to have more of a focus on sharing tracks within the app itself. Let’s see how that goes.
For now here’s the app’s description:
• • • Special offer to celebrate our first app launch for a limited time!!! • • •
Unlocking new potentials of FM synthesis.
Frum is a radically new FM Drum Synthesizer, incubated after many years of research and development into FM synthesis. You may imagine FM sounds to be clear and harmonic, but those are just the start of the possibilities FM has to offer. More potential is unleashed by harnessing the unlimited, free power of complex sound waves.
Close sound encounters of the third kind.
Traditionally, FM synths are overwhelming, with too many parameters to control the sound texture. Frum bundles many of these parameters together in the BUG button, offering entirely new textures each time the button is pressed. It’s easy to find and tweak these sounds to make drums, other percussion, fat bass, organic noises such as insect songs, environmental sounds, human screams, as well as all sorts of intriguing melodies.
- The sounds are at your fingertips.
With Frum, we had to rethink the existing UI design for hardware and software synthesizers, bringing the power of FM to the iOS touch screen. The vertically scrolling sequencer allows you to enjoy single-handed, stress-free control of the UI.
- Rearrange blocks to compose music.
Entire songs can be composed by rearranging pattern blocks with your fingers. Complex arrangements and organisation is possible with the user having control over song name, pattern block colors, loop counts and durations.
- Share your song on the timeline.
From incorporates SNS technology, allowing you to listen to hot new tracks from around the world, as soon as somebody shares them. Let people know what you think, and get feedback on your own tracks, via the like button, and comments section.
- Sound engine
- Oscillators : FM/PM synth with 4 operators（ sine, square, triangle )
- Tracks : 4 ( can extend to 4×4 pads using the ‘Pad division’ function )
- Filter : High, Band and Low pass filter
- Effectors : Overdrive, Auto Pan
- Features :
- Generating BUG, Pad division, UNDO, REDO, Live edit, Save and load presets (factory/private)
- Pattern Sequencer
- Step resolution : 1/16
- Maximum step: 64 (4 bars)
- Gate input, Keyboard input, parameter input in Motion edit mode, Copy and paste, Step shift
- Song (Pattern Block)
- Maximium patterns : 150
- Pattern Block Properties : Name, Color, Loop count, Mute
- Features :
- Drag & drop, Duplicate, Delete, Delete All
- BPM Stepper
- Mixer : 4 track volume faders + 1 master volume fader with a limiter
- Other Features :
- Shuffle, Mute, Pad Division, Pad sound switch, and so on
- Other functions
- SNS (Timeline, Popular, Recommended, Demo)
- Account management, Account synchronization, Create account
Frum is on the app store today for $2.99:
Bram Bos, the makers of Ruismaker have now brought us Ruismaker FM. A whole new app designed for people who want to design their own percussion sounds from scratch.
Ruismaker FM’s flexible synthesis engine lets you create anything from snaredrums, kickdrums and spacy toms to weird and unconventional percussive sounds and effects.
Works conveniently inside your sequencer and Audio Unit Instrument hosts so you can focus on making electronic music without app switching and screen juggling like before.
*IMPORTANT* Audio Units are plug-ins that need a compatible host app to work. Ruismaker FM has been tested to work beautifully with Steinberg Cubasis, Apple Garageband, Modstep and AUM.
- Audio Unit Instrument (AUv3): making music on iOS doesn’t get more convenient
- Use Ruismaker FM’s flexible FM synth engine to create thousands of sounds
- Comes with loads of factory preset sounds as examples
- Does not use any samples; all sounds are synthesized in realtime, on the fly
- Light on the CPU, so you can run lots of instances simultaneously
- Has an extra compact 4″ UI mode; especially for iPhone SE and iPhone 5S
- Fully automatable parameters (requires host support)
- Fully MIDI controllable using MIDI CC
- Download the advanced guide on ruismaker.com for more details about parameter automation, available instruments and MIDI implementation
iOS Audio Units are supported on iPads (iPad 4, iPad Mini 2 and up) and iPhones (iPhone 5S and up) with iOS 9 and higher.
Ruismaker FM costs $4.99 on the app store now:
“A demonstration of driving DrumPerfect from Auria Pro using a MIDI track in Auria Pro and recording all 16 drum kit channels to stereo audio tracks in Auria Pro. The same applies to DrumPerfect Pro – see the short followup video using DrumPerfect Pro as a drop-in replacement.”
“A short followup video to the other on DrumPerfect and Auria Pro, this time using DrumPerfect Pro. Do watch the other video to understand the technique. This one simply demonstrates that you can use DrumPerfect Pro as a drop in replacement for DrumPerfect, but the other video goes into the detail of how to do it. Oh – one other thing: I show in this video why the issue of having both a subgroup as well as a bus is important for soloing parts – which I mentioned but forgot to show in the original. Watch both and you’ll put the pieces together ;-)”
Videos published by MusicInclusive.