I’m not sure what to make of this new drum sequencer from a previously unknown developer. It looks very simple and straightforward, but perhaps too much so? I may be being unfair without having tried it first.
Anyway, here’s the app’s description:
Mercury Drum Sequencer is a sample based drum machine and step sequencer.
- Five tracks with two sound sources (osc) each.
- Osc and track sound tweaking parameters.
- Individual track effects.
- Each osc and track parameter can be overridden per step, by holding the desired step and changing the parameter in question.
- Supports syncing with other music apps using Ableton Link.
Mercury Drum Sequencer costs $4.99 on the app store:
So this has been a long time coming and I have to admit that I missed it’s arrival. It’s now just been updated with IAA and AB3, so it’s become even more useful!
Here are all the details …
LIKE PLAYING WITH A SESSION DRUMMER
X Drummer will be your best songwriting partner. With a few finger taps, it quickly learns your song. You can even change the feel of each drummer depending on your personal taste. AI Drums will intelligently search through hundreds of drum patterns and drum kits and virtually match your songs. The more you play with AI Drums, the better it gets at learning your preferences.
THE MOST ADVANCED AI TECHNOLOGY
X Drummer lets you play, write, and rehearse with a virtual drummer, powered by the latest AI technology and deep machine learning. It works like magic; AI Drums listens to your guitar pattern and sorts out a matched drum pattern that best suits your compositions. Just tap to record and the app will learn and play the right drum pattern.
CREATE YOUR DRUM TRACK IN A MINUTE
Our super intuitive browser and drum track editor lets you easily search and preview drum grooves matched with your music. With a simple tap of your finger you can easily arrange and edit your drum track in a seconds.
DESIGN YOUR DRUM KIT
Change any and every drum component.X Drummer let’s you edit the basic parts of the kit, like the drum head and damping ring. You can go into deeper drum customization by changing the individual instrument options such as pitch, attack and resonance. In addition to designing your drum sound, you can also design the look and feel of your drum kit to make it as unique as your sound.
THOUSANDS OF DRUM KITS AND PATTERNS ON THE CLOUD(COMING IN Q2, 2017)
X Drummer gives you instant access to dozens of cloud-based drum kits and drum patterns created by professional drummers, plus thousands more created by X Drummer users just like you. With a simple finger tap, an infinite cloud-based drum kit and pattern library will be available to preview and download.
- Super Intuitive Browser and drum track editor
- Audio file export
- Advanced search function to sort out your drum groove in a second
- Hundreds of onboard drum grooves
- Drum sound customization to design your drum sound
- AI Drum to learn your guitar and feedback matched drum track
“On this new update we improved the AI drum function for a better user experience. Also We add IAA and audiobus connections to the app and fixed some minor bugs you could experience on the past.”
X Drummer costs $9.99 on the app store now:
DM2 – The Drum Machine hasn’t been around that long (May this year) and already we’re seeing pretty serious updates like this in version 1.2. Here’s what’s new:
- DRUMS : You can save the current drum kit as a separate kit, in the drum kits list
- DRUMS : You can now load a drum kit with or without its effects
- DRUMS : You can now import and export a drum kit (iTunes folder, iCloud drive, Dropbox, etc)
- DRUMS : The Pitch Modulation LFO has now 4 waves to choose from : Sin, Triangle, Sawtooth and Square. They can be synced to the tempo or not. They can triggered on each step or not. The settings are in the EDIT popup of the Pitch Modulation LFO.
- FX: The Delay has a new PING PONG mode (in Master/Aux panel)
+ SONG : You can now import and export a song (iTunes folder, iCloud drive, Dropbox, etc)
- AUDIO ENGINE: Improved Sequencer timing.
- MIDI: PitchBend controls the Beat Repeat effect.
- MIDI: New Midi engine, based on the Midibus Library.
- SONG: fixed some Song loading issue.
- FX: When in AUX mode some selected tracks were wrongly restored when opening the AUX panel.
- FX: In AUX mode Phaser and Chorus were inverted.
- FX: Compressor noise issue fixed.
- AUDIO ENGINE: fixed audio clicks when solo/muting a track.
- AUDIO ENGINE: fixed some audio “slowness” on first step when starting DM2.
- AUDIO ENGINE: fixed some clicks on switching STEREO track on or off.
- AUDIO ENGINE: Pan settings not correctly restored.
- AUDIO ENGINE: with older iPad models (before iPad Air) remove AudioCopy export for compatibility issues.
- Updated Library: AudioCopy 3.4.
- Updated Library: LibPd 0.10
- Updated Library: Audiobus 2.3.2
A new drum machine app arrives, Vatanator SX is a unique drum machine with advanced MIDI functionality. It features 140 built-in presets emulating every classic vintage hardware. It is aimed for simplicity and instant rhythm creation.
Vatanator SX features:
- iOS 7.1 and up compatible
- Record patterns in real-time with quantization, MIDI assignable
- 16/32 steps sequencer with advanced MIDI options
- Fast loading of presets on the fly
- Full MIDI implementation
- Background audio
- Audiobus, Audiobus Remote, Inter-App Audio and Ableton Link support
- Ability to import samples via AudioShare, AudioCopy, Dropbox or iTunes Share
- Real-time effects with XY pad, MIDI assignable and automation
- Song arranger, ability to store a sequence of patterns and play them in order
- 8 channel mixer with volume control and mute/solo for any individual instrument
Vatanator SX costs $4.99 on the app store:
If drums are your thing then you really need to take a look at this app. Drum Session for iPad has only just arrived and even though I’ve not had a great deal of time to play with it I’m already impressed. It has a nice clean interface, intuitive and straightforward, this is the kind of app you can just go to work with.
I’ll be giving it a full work out soon, and I’ll tell you more. For now, here’s the app’s description:
With a library of 3600 editable patterns, loops, and fills, Drum Session is a very fast, simple way to put together a complete drum track.
- Select a pattern
- Drag it onto the timeline
- Press play
- 3600 preset patterns
- 30 complete sets of acoustic drum samples
- Record your own beats
- Piano roll style editing
- MIDI in / out
- Inter-app-audio (IAA)
- Export beats as MIDI or audio files
- Connect to external drum kits or keyboards by MIDI
Drum Session for iPad is on the app store priced at $24.99:
I have to admit that I like the title. It made me chortle slightly, and that’s always a good start. An app with a bit of humour in its name is no bad thing in my book. I also quite like that it looks a bit like a calculator and also reminds me of the Teenage Engineering Pocket Operator series too.
I’ve not tried this out, so I can’t tell you if it’s worthwhile or not. However, it is very cheap at just $0.99.
Here are the app’s details:
Pocket size drum machine, perfect for making beats. You can record live with the drum pads and even add simple bass line to the beat. 2 drum kits with 12 tweakable drum sounds and customisable bass sound. Easy to use!
- real synthesised bass sounds
- sampled drum sounds
- export to WAV or MIDI
- real-time parameters
Jack the beat maker is simplified but yet powerful rhythm greater tool.
Jack the beat maker costs $0.99 on the app store now:
A new drum synth is always welcome of course, so Hello Frum! Nice to meet you, from what I can see though this little drum synth doesn’t have AB, IAA, or Link. Perhaps that will come in time. It does however seem to have more of a focus on sharing tracks within the app itself. Let’s see how that goes.
For now here’s the app’s description:
• • • Special offer to celebrate our first app launch for a limited time!!! • • •
Unlocking new potentials of FM synthesis.
Frum is a radically new FM Drum Synthesizer, incubated after many years of research and development into FM synthesis. You may imagine FM sounds to be clear and harmonic, but those are just the start of the possibilities FM has to offer. More potential is unleashed by harnessing the unlimited, free power of complex sound waves.
Close sound encounters of the third kind.
Traditionally, FM synths are overwhelming, with too many parameters to control the sound texture. Frum bundles many of these parameters together in the BUG button, offering entirely new textures each time the button is pressed. It’s easy to find and tweak these sounds to make drums, other percussion, fat bass, organic noises such as insect songs, environmental sounds, human screams, as well as all sorts of intriguing melodies.
- The sounds are at your fingertips.
With Frum, we had to rethink the existing UI design for hardware and software synthesizers, bringing the power of FM to the iOS touch screen. The vertically scrolling sequencer allows you to enjoy single-handed, stress-free control of the UI.
- Rearrange blocks to compose music.
Entire songs can be composed by rearranging pattern blocks with your fingers. Complex arrangements and organisation is possible with the user having control over song name, pattern block colors, loop counts and durations.
- Share your song on the timeline.
From incorporates SNS technology, allowing you to listen to hot new tracks from around the world, as soon as somebody shares them. Let people know what you think, and get feedback on your own tracks, via the like button, and comments section.
- Sound engine
- Oscillators : FM/PM synth with 4 operators（ sine, square, triangle )
- Tracks : 4 ( can extend to 4×4 pads using the ‘Pad division’ function )
- Filter : High, Band and Low pass filter
- Effectors : Overdrive, Auto Pan
- Features :
- Generating BUG, Pad division, UNDO, REDO, Live edit, Save and load presets (factory/private)
- Pattern Sequencer
- Step resolution : 1/16
- Maximum step: 64 (4 bars)
- Gate input, Keyboard input, parameter input in Motion edit mode, Copy and paste, Step shift
- Song (Pattern Block)
- Maximium patterns : 150
- Pattern Block Properties : Name, Color, Loop count, Mute
- Features :
- Drag & drop, Duplicate, Delete, Delete All
- BPM Stepper
- Mixer : 4 track volume faders + 1 master volume fader with a limiter
- Other Features :
- Shuffle, Mute, Pad Division, Pad sound switch, and so on
- Other functions
- SNS (Timeline, Popular, Recommended, Demo)
- Account management, Account synchronization, Create account
Frum is on the app store today for $2.99:
Bram Bos, the makers of Ruismaker have now brought us Ruismaker FM. A whole new app designed for people who want to design their own percussion sounds from scratch.
Ruismaker FM’s flexible synthesis engine lets you create anything from snaredrums, kickdrums and spacy toms to weird and unconventional percussive sounds and effects.
Works conveniently inside your sequencer and Audio Unit Instrument hosts so you can focus on making electronic music without app switching and screen juggling like before.
*IMPORTANT* Audio Units are plug-ins that need a compatible host app to work. Ruismaker FM has been tested to work beautifully with Steinberg Cubasis, Apple Garageband, Modstep and AUM.
- Audio Unit Instrument (AUv3): making music on iOS doesn’t get more convenient
- Use Ruismaker FM’s flexible FM synth engine to create thousands of sounds
- Comes with loads of factory preset sounds as examples
- Does not use any samples; all sounds are synthesized in realtime, on the fly
- Light on the CPU, so you can run lots of instances simultaneously
- Has an extra compact 4″ UI mode; especially for iPhone SE and iPhone 5S
- Fully automatable parameters (requires host support)
- Fully MIDI controllable using MIDI CC
- Download the advanced guide on ruismaker.com for more details about parameter automation, available instruments and MIDI implementation
iOS Audio Units are supported on iPads (iPad 4, iPad Mini 2 and up) and iPhones (iPhone 5S and up) with iOS 9 and higher.
Ruismaker FM costs $4.99 on the app store now:
“A demonstration of driving DrumPerfect from Auria Pro using a MIDI track in Auria Pro and recording all 16 drum kit channels to stereo audio tracks in Auria Pro. The same applies to DrumPerfect Pro – see the short followup video using DrumPerfect Pro as a drop-in replacement.”
“A short followup video to the other on DrumPerfect and Auria Pro, this time using DrumPerfect Pro. Do watch the other video to understand the technique. This one simply demonstrates that you can use DrumPerfect Pro as a drop in replacement for DrumPerfect, but the other video goes into the detail of how to do it. Oh – one other thing: I show in this video why the issue of having both a subgroup as well as a bus is important for soloing parts – which I mentioned but forgot to show in the original. Watch both and you’ll put the pieces together ;-)”
Videos published by MusicInclusive.
It’s been a little bit of a wait, but here it is.
DrumPerfect Pro, the Human Feel Drummer for iOS!
Here is what Gilbert Medam, composer and arranger, creator of the packs and new UI design wrote:
“Following the steps of his predecessor DrumPerfect, DrumPerfect Pro is now one of the most versatile digital drummers ( on iPad ) I have ever used. My favorite, for sure. What set it apart is the fact that it doesn’t sound like a drum machine at all. You have to listen to it to believe. It just sound like a living drummer. An excellent drummer at home in any style, any genre. Groovy and solid.
Technically highly skilled, able to improvise variations with good taste and nuances.
What a groovy companion, for anything from practice to production to performances.
- Unique virtual drum engine for ultra-realistic performances:
- random sample selection,
- two-handed-playing emulation16 Linked sets ( fills & variations ) to be played at programmable intervals,
- multi-sampled instruments with up to 16 samples per instrument,
- humanise option adds randomisation of velocity and timing,
- programmable time shifts per drum stroke,
- programmable number of beats in a pattern (up to 32),
- programmable subdivision per beat (up to 16),
- smart swing function,
- JAM! function,
- BPM between 20 and 320,
- convolution-based reverb processor.
- Grid style editor for easy rhythm programming and editing.
- Kit editor for building your own multi-sampled drumkits.
- Song editor for easy song building.
- 32 Velocity-sensitive pads for live-recording.
- Rock-solid sync via Inter-App-Audio, Ableton Link or midi-in clock sync.
- Audio file and midi file export to other apps.
- Audio file and midi file import from other apps.
- Full Inter-App-Audio and Audiobus support with individual outputs per instrument
- Low-latency midi-in handling for notes, control changes and program changes.
- Extensive midi-in configuration options per port.
- Midi-learn for mapping of notes and remote commands.
- A dedicated store with great content.
DrumPerfect Pro now offers Styles Packs. Professional-grade musical content (drum kits, songs and patterns) covering a vast variety of drumming styles, downloadable as In-App Purchases.
Packs available now:
- Funky Breakbeat vol.1 ( Classics ),
- Funky Breakbeat vol.2 ( Modern ),
- Jazz Sessions vol.1 ( Sticks )
- Brazilian Rhythms vol.1
- Heavy Metal
- Batucada vol.1
DrumPerfect Pro costs $8.99 on the app store: