Whilst I haven’t tried out LayR as yet, it describes itself as a massively polyphonic, multi-timbral synthesizer for iPad and iPhone, which sounds pretty awesome doesn’t it. It’s optimized for modern 64 bit devices delivering up to 256 voices of rich, multi-layered and textured sounds. So all in all worth a look. In version 1.0.4 there are a lot of new things and a lot of fixes too. Here’s all that’s new:
- Cinematic: A full new bank of wonderfully evocative Performance presets by Brice.
- Ableton Link for arpeggiator. Link can be enabled/disabled in settings.
- MIDI Output port: Enabled with an option in settings, defaults to off.
- MIDI Virtual Destination Chooser: To send MIDI to other apps. Only available when the MIDI out port is enabled.
- MIDI Controller Templates: Tap the new MIDI icon at the top of the Layer Editor view.
- Sends MIDI controller from assigned dials when MIDI Out is enabled, (on the Instrument channel).
- “Pickup” Mode for MIDI controllers. Option in settings.
- Channel Pressure added to the list of assignable MIDI controllers.
- AudioBus 3: Audio and MIDI.
- Settings has an option to stop Master Tempo being set when Performances are loaded.
- Manually loading a performance or instrument makes that bank current for MIDI program select.
- Group and assign on iPad is now high enough to accommodate 8 rows instead of 7
- New Shortcut: Double tapping on a dot in the link/assign view selects or deselects the entire column.
- New Shortcut: In Preset Selector Views, long press on bank names to rename banks.
- Fixed: Crash when starting mono-legato voices in 64 voice mode.
- Fixed: Potential crash when rapidly changing presets via MIDI Program Change.
- Fixed: Preset Files stored on iCloud Drive can now be loaded by tapping on them or selecting “Open In…”
- Fixed: Layer volume sliders now show MIDI icon when assigned to a MIDI controller.
- Fixed: MIDI controller assignations no longer seem to disappear after deleting another instrument.
- Fixed: Possible crash caused by corrupt UI after launching from an IAA host.
- Fixed: Layer strip name label resizes font to t width.
- Fixed: MIDI Assign view rendered incorrectly if a layer has a really long name.
- Fixed: Tempo was not always correctly set when loading a performance.
- Fixed: Arpeggiator stops if IAA host doesn’t provide beat clock.
- Fixed: It’s now possible to select LayR as a MIDI destination from inside other apps.
- Fixed: Issue with jittery response with dials and sliders when moving very slowly.
- Fixed an envelope bug that could cause loud clicks with some settings.
- Improved voice stealing in attempt to reduce clicks when max polyphony is exceeded.
- Changed the wording of the “Import” button to “Append” in the Load Performance view.
LayR on the app store: