There are always some interesting things at MIDEM and 2017 is no different. I was checking out the categories earlier in the week and I thought it would be worth sharing some of the start ups that are going.
So let’s start with Skoog …
I was lucky enough to meet Dr Ben from Skoog in Berlin at MMM2017 in March. He’s one of those people that I’ve been meaning to meet up with for a very long time indeed and it was great to chat about Skoog and mobile music in general. I’m still waiting to get my hands on a Skoog as I’m really interested in experimenting with it to see how I can use it with a wide variety of apps.
Skoog has both an interesting past and future and is the kind of device that could very much lend itself to gestural based music.
Also they’ve got some very nice new software coming up together with a Swift Playground.
Indiegogo Exclusive – Mogo (OSX) Preview from Skoogmusic on Vimeo.
The next is Hum-On!
Which looks like a very interesting if not entirely new idea. I’m pretty sure that I’ve seen other apps that are very similar. Even so, it’s still a good idea and one that could do with exploration.
So, as you can see, there are some good things coming to MIDEM. The two above are just a small sample of what will be at MIDEM this year. Check out the rest here, and if you hear of any other interesting ones, please let me know.
I take my hat off to Tim at Discchord for his work on the site. This is great stuff and excellent work indeed. I’m so glad to see this site go from strength to strength.
Well done Tim!
The truly flexible swiss army knife of MIDI on iOS gets another excellent update in version 2.9. Here’s what’s new in MDP2.9:
2.9 is a major release focusing on panels, smaller new features and fixes.
- NEW: Panel Channel and Starting CC (thanks Todd)… see midiDR.com/panelChannel
- NEW: Panels can be grouping or not grouping (‘Panel Controls’ toggle, thanks Terry and others)
- NEW: Changed Snap to Value and Snap to Default Value timer under the hood to allow for smaller values to work properly (thanks Steven!)
- ADDED: Song Select MIDI message for Songbook and other apps (thanks Peter)
- ADDED: 4-byte device ID Roland Sysex Checksum (thanks fingerstyler)
- FIXED: Reappearing MIDI Dude
- FIXED: Picker values not being set/shown properly on layout load (thanks Michel!)
- FIXED: Buttons with no label showing “Distortion 1” (thanks Gary!)
- FIXED: Page Jump buttons on other side on phone not working (thanks Scott!)
- FIXED: iPhone 6, 6+, 7, 7+ not showing arrows
- FIXED: iPhone default layout not centered
- FIXED: Panel layering didn’t make much sense (Thanks Michel!)
- FIXED: Panel selection and multiline-label control slowness. See mididr.com/qa/5820 for details (thanks Byron)
- FIXED: Bug in Channel Changers with no presets overriding presets (thanks Giovanni)
- FIXED: Bug on first load with controls that bridge left and right pages (iPad only, thanks Michel!)