From Art Kerns, maker of midiLFOs and midiSTEPs comes two apps for the Volca FM and the Volca Sample.
midiFILTr-VF is an AudioBus 3 MIDI filter effect and CoreMIDI capable app that improves the MIDI capabilities of a hardware Volca FM synthesizer. The Volca FM is notorious for having a unique MIDI spec that does not listen to the velocity of incoming MIDI notes. midiFILTr-VF allows you to play notes with velocity as you would expect to by adding a MIDI CC message along with each note that controls the note’s velocity.
This app requires:
- A hardware Volca FM synthesizer
- A hardware MIDI interface connected to the Volca FM
- The AudioBus 3 app is recommended for ease of use, though the app can also be configured with regular CoreMIDI.
midiFILTr-VS is an AudioBus 3 MIDI effect and CoreMIDI capable app that improves the MIDI capabilities of a hardware Volca Sampler. The Volca Sampler is notorious for having a unique MIDI spec that requires you to trigger individual parts on different MIDI channels. midiFILTr-VS allows you to trigger parts as you would normally expect to trigger a sampler.
midiFILTr-VS has three modes:
- OCTAVE mode – C notes on any octave always trigger Volca part 1, C# triggers part 2, D triggers part 3, etc.
- DRUM mode – The general MIDI drum spec is used to trigger the individual parts. Bass Drum triggers part 1, Snare part 2, Closed Hat part 9, etc.
- PITCH mode – The Volca works normally triggering its 10 parts on 10 different MIDI channels. But instead of the Volca default of always playing that sample at the same pitch, the incoming note value will effect that sample’s pitch.
This app requires:
- A hardware Volca Sampler
- A hardware MIDI interface connected to the Sampler
The AudioBus 3 app is recommended for ease of use, though the app can also be configured with regular CoreMIDI.
midiFILTr-VF costs $0.99 on the app store:
midiFILTr-VS costs $1.99 on the app store: