It’s only fair to say that Link has very quickly established a strong foothold in the iOS world, and has of course had a desktop presence from day one with Live. But the big question was always whether or not other desktop DAWs would take it on.
Now that’s happened with Reason. Here’s what Propellerheads say about it:
“Reason is the first third party DAW to add support for Ableton’s Link technology. Users of Reason 9.1 can effortlessly sync their music making apps across WiFi, and Link will keep all apps in tempo and time. Drop in or out of the Link at any time. Change tempo on one device and all the Linked apps follow suit.
Use the Link enabled Reason for Jam sessions with friends using Ableton Live or other Link enabled apps on desktop or mobile. Or use Link to record the sound of your favorite iOS apps to your Reason tracks in perfect sync.
How to use Link
Using Link is a breeze. Reason 9.1 adds Ableton Link as a new sync mode that you enable from the transport panel. You’ll see how many other Links are available and a graph will show timing information. When you hit play in Reason, it will start playing in sync on the next downbeat. When you stop, all other apps will keep playing. There is no sync master.
Reason 9.1 is a free update for owners of Reason 9. To update Reason 9, simply download it from Reason’s auto updater that will detect the update on launch.”
Make now mistake that this is massive, truly massive, and I hope that it isn’t the last. Quite frankly I think that we should see all DAWs take on Link, and I’d like to see some Android love for Link too.
What’s more, it’s great to see Jakob in there doing his thing!
A new drum synth is always welcome of course, so Hello Frum! Nice to meet you, from what I can see though this little drum synth doesn’t have AB, IAA, or Link. Perhaps that will come in time. It does however seem to have more of a focus on sharing tracks within the app itself. Let’s see how that goes.
For now here’s the app’s description:
• • • Special offer to celebrate our first app launch for a limited time!!! • • •
Unlocking new potentials of FM synthesis.
Frum is a radically new FM Drum Synthesizer, incubated after many years of research and development into FM synthesis. You may imagine FM sounds to be clear and harmonic, but those are just the start of the possibilities FM has to offer. More potential is unleashed by harnessing the unlimited, free power of complex sound waves.
Close sound encounters of the third kind.
Traditionally, FM synths are overwhelming, with too many parameters to control the sound texture. Frum bundles many of these parameters together in the BUG button, offering entirely new textures each time the button is pressed. It’s easy to find and tweak these sounds to make drums, other percussion, fat bass, organic noises such as insect songs, environmental sounds, human screams, as well as all sorts of intriguing melodies.
- The sounds are at your fingertips.
With Frum, we had to rethink the existing UI design for hardware and software synthesizers, bringing the power of FM to the iOS touch screen. The vertically scrolling sequencer allows you to enjoy single-handed, stress-free control of the UI.
- Rearrange blocks to compose music.
Entire songs can be composed by rearranging pattern blocks with your fingers. Complex arrangements and organisation is possible with the user having control over song name, pattern block colors, loop counts and durations.
- Share your song on the timeline.
From incorporates SNS technology, allowing you to listen to hot new tracks from around the world, as soon as somebody shares them. Let people know what you think, and get feedback on your own tracks, via the like button, and comments section.
- Sound engine
- Oscillators : FM/PM synth with 4 operators（ sine, square, triangle )
- Tracks : 4 ( can extend to 4×4 pads using the ‘Pad division’ function )
- Filter : High, Band and Low pass filter
- Effectors : Overdrive, Auto Pan
- Features :
- Generating BUG, Pad division, UNDO, REDO, Live edit, Save and load presets (factory/private)
- Pattern Sequencer
- Step resolution : 1/16
- Maximum step: 64 (4 bars)
- Gate input, Keyboard input, parameter input in Motion edit mode, Copy and paste, Step shift
- Song (Pattern Block)
- Maximium patterns : 150
- Pattern Block Properties : Name, Color, Loop count, Mute
- Features :
- Drag & drop, Duplicate, Delete, Delete All
- BPM Stepper
- Mixer : 4 track volume faders + 1 master volume fader with a limiter
- Other Features :
- Shuffle, Mute, Pad Division, Pad sound switch, and so on
- Other functions
- SNS (Timeline, Popular, Recommended, Demo)
- Account management, Account synchronization, Create account
Frum is on the app store today for $2.99:
A new synth from VirSyn is really something to look forward to, and we haven’t had to wait long for this since they teased it with videos (see below). For now here’s the full app description for Addictive Pro.
The hybrid synthesis algorithm on which Addictive Pro is based provides you with efficient means for easy control of complex sounds far beyond usual sound synthesis methods:
Addictive Pro provides you a with unique form of Wavetable oscillators. These Wavetables are generated from the harmonic content and the free digital filter structure entered by the user.
The sound of up to 12 of this Wavetable oscillators is then further refined with a classic analog filter available in several 24dB and 12dB forms.
For the optional noise part of the sound you can use the same sophisticated digital filter struct as for the wavetable oscillators allowing for a vast variety of ever changing noisescapes.
The intelligent sound and rhythm randomizer can be applied to different sound aspects separately for really useful sound design and inspiration.
A four part polyrhythm Arpeggiator creates complex rhythmical structures with a touch of a finger.
Hybrid synthesis engine
- Wavetable spectrum synthesis
- Noise spectrum synthesis
- Virtual Analog synthesis
- FM and Ringmodulation synthesis
- Twelve wavetable spectrum oscillators per voice.
- Morphing between two wave/filter sets.
- Waves contain up to 256 partials.
- Hand drawn filter structure.
- Spectral noise generator using hand drawn filter structure.
- Ten major sound parameters each with independent poly LFO and envelope modulators.
- Real time parameter control using two X/Y touch pads, the tilt sensors of the iPad and MIDI Controllers.
- Monophonic or polyphonic with up to 16 voices.
- 300 factory presets, unlimited user presets can be shared.
- Seven studio standard effects concurrently usable:
- Oversampled distortion with four different algorithms for antialiased sound.
- Low / High equalizer
- 8 pole analog Phaser
- Four line chorus
- Stereo/Ping-Pong delay with glitch free delay time change.
- Hi end reverberation unit.
Four part Polyrhythm Arpeggiator
- Uses programmable sequences with up to 32 steps.
- Can trigger single notes and chords.
- Unique randomizer generates Arpeggios with 100% usability.
- Factory arpeggios included, unlimited user arpeggios possible.
- For each step you can program tie, accent, transposition and note order
- Play melodies live with the onscreen keyboard. Unique drag function for slides and vibrato.
- Audiobus 2 with state saving
- Inter App Audio
- Can use CoreMIDI compatible MIDI Keyboard.
- Select from dozens of scales and play them with scale optimized keyboard layout.
- Audio recorder with share function.
- Share user presets.
- Support for virtual MIDI input connections.
- Multichannel MIDI Learn for external MIDI controllers.
- MIDI Tempo sync. Start/Stop Arpeggio.
- MIDI bank/program change.
- Import function for Addictive Synth presets.
Addictive Pro is on the app store now and costs $11.99 which includes an introductory 40% off
It’s a huge update in version 2.1 with all the stuff that you’d expect to find from apeSoft. Here’s the big list:
- Ableton Link in integration, find out more about Link at http://ableton.com/link
- New SYNC for LFO and Sequencer
- New UI iPad/iPhone restyle
- New Dynamics Compressor/Expander
- New iCloud Drive and Document Picker for Presets and Files
- MIDI Clock improved
- Improved Toggle Interaction
- Audiobus latest SDK update
- Midibus 1.35
- New 88.2 and 96 kHz Sampling Rate support
- Bluetooth Audio IO support
- Bluetooth MIDI LE Support
- Added Preset Manager ‘Open In…’ Support
- Added Preset Manager ‘Sends the audio files used from the Bank’
- Added File Manager ‘Send E-Mail’ Support
- AudioShare support
- Audio Engine Optimisation
- Bugs fixed
- iPad Pro compatibility fixed
- iPhone Landscape Left/Right