Heart ‘n Soul. The Beautiful Octopus Club Festival, Royal Festival Hall.
I posted about this a little while ago, but now it’s coming up very fast indeed. As I said the last time I posted about it, I’ve been involved in Heart n Soul’s Beautiful Octopus Club for a few years now. This year the club is bigger and better than ever, so if you can make it along I think you’ll have a brilliant night out.
Every year Heart n Soul takes over the Royal Festival Hall on the South Bank and turns it into the most amazing club night for people with learning disabilities. This year the Beautiful Octopus Club is on the 9th of September from 7pm until midnight and it is open to all. There’s no tickets, no entrance free, and everyone is welcome.
This year there’s loads going on over 3 floors with 6 stages, 2 dance floors, 20 acts performing, 9 DJ crews, 11 Taking Part areas and on the 5th floor there’s going to be the biggest SoundLab ever.
If you’d like to know more about it then feel to get in touch with me.
Contact details here.
So there wasn’t long to wait for PPG’s new Phonem app to arrive for your iPad. Here’s all you need to know.
After the huge success of the PPG Phonem VST/AU plugin, we optimized the sound-engine to make it run pretty well on the iPad.
It has also been adapted to make best use of multi-touch and comes with IAA and AU-extension.
PPG Phonem lets the user create expressive vocal synthesis beyond anything ever heard before. With its advanced routing system every aspect of the voice can be controlled and modulated in any conceivable way. Anything from a quiet whisper to a scream. Use the intuitive text to speech tool to make Phonem say whatever you want.
Although the PPG Phonem was originally designed to do just vocal synthesis, it turned out that the system was also capable of producing a wide range of universal synthsizer sounds. So we extended the parameter ranges and made everything accessible to the user, to take advantage of this fact.
- Create your own singing style and expressions
- Large Phoneme inventory – 46 english/american plus 5 german plus 4 french phonemes
- Versatile excitation generator/oscillator
- Working with typical voice source or wavetable and time-corrected-samples (TCS)
- Extreme time stretching, freezing and reversing
- Pitch track – let your robots sing
- Control track – let it cry and shout
- Song mode – making it easy to compose your synthesized text
- Wave page – create your own wavetables and modify time-corrected-samples
- Import WTS and TCS files from the iPad WaveGenerator and WaveMapper
- All internal parameters available to the user – give your voices a special dialect or individual character
- Versatile matrix system – allowing 19 sources to control 40 parameters
- Two X/Y control pads freely routable to 40 parameters
- 6 Envelopes, for control of filter sweeps, waveform, noise and many modulations
- 4 LFOs plus Vibrato, Flutter and Growl generators
- Fully programmable resonator filter – allowing production of new sound effects
- Delay/Reverb effect
- Overdrive/Distortion effect
- A/B compare your edited sounds
- AU extension – run multiple Phonem instances in AU hosts
- IAA – inter-app audio support
- Audiobus 2 with statesaving
- 10 min audio recording and Audio copy to the pasteboard
- Redesigned browser with new listing filters
- Directly accessible context help for each module
- Freely configurable schematic keypads, with extremely expressive modulation options
- 4 Keypads play modes: Poly, Mono, Legato and Multitrigger.
- 4 MIDI modes: Omni, Poly, Mono, and Voice-Per-Channel.
Phonem costs $19.99 / £14.99 on the app store now:
And I think that this fits the bill pretty well for me. I have, on occasion used Indian instrumentation in pieces, so I can see that it could come in handy I suppose. It also seems reasonably priced although I think that you need to buy the bulk of the instruments via IAP.
Anyway, you make up your own mind. Here are the details …
Add up to 79* perfectly sampled virtual Indian instruments to your iPad’s sequencer! SwarPlug is an Audio Unit Extension that will load in AUv3 compatible hosts like Garageband, Cubasis, etc… as additional voices that can be played through the keyboard, in new loops created from scratch through your MIDI editor, or by using the thousands of MIDI loops included in the plugin.
*This app initially only includes the Tabla instrument, but you can download any additional voice you like through In App Purchasing.
I’m a big fan of nils. It’s a great effect and has an awesome interface. What’s more it just gets better and better! I especially love the dimetrodon. If you don’t know what I mean then it’s probably time to get this app isn’t it?
Here’s 2.1, which is lovely!
- Adding Ableton Link.
- Adding ability to start iaa in background.
- Adding iaa control panel.
- Improving touch experience.
- Improving filter.
- adding dimetrodon timeline.
- Minor ui changes, to fit new functions.
- Updating delay hold keyboard.
- Updating guide.
- Improving ui resolution on some devices.