I’ve been playing with this app for a week or so and I have to say that I am completely smitten with it. I have to say that I’m already not seeing this app as an app at all, but rather as an instrument in its own right. I think that the closest thing I’ve seen to this is ThumbJam, which is of course brilliant, but has a much broader appeal. FingerFiddle is as it says it is, a fiddle instrument you play with your finger. It is amazing, and I mean that sincerely.
Anyway, enough of my gushing. Here are the app details …
Turn your iPad into an instrument of the violin family and play just like on a real instrument !
FingerFiddle introduces a new and highly sensitive musical experience with your IOS device. Your actions on the screen are turned naturally into an exceptionally realistic and responsive sound, whatever you do. Place your fingers on the fingerboard to change notes. Move your other hand on the screen to rub the strings with the bow and shape the sound continuously in real-time. Pluck the screen to play pizzicato. FingerFiddle responds accurately to your movements and lets you play with the full palette of violin expression, just like with a real instrument.
FingerFiddle is a musical instrument that you can bring with you everywhere to play, practice, have fun and perform with others. It includes a full collection of fine-tuned instruments from the violin family (violin, viola, cello and double bass). The basic version comes with a cello, and other instruments are available to try and purchase. Wherever you are, at any time, pick one of the instruments and play music for real with FingerFiddle.
Who is it for?
- Anyone interested in music playing can find something in FingerFiddle:
- For the beginner, FingerFiddle is an affordable way to experience and enjoy fiddle playing, alone or in group. Play, practice to improve your playing, try different instruments and maybe, eventually, buy a real instrument…
- For advanced players, FingerFiddle is a new instrument to discover and have fun with. Use it in your musical productions and live performances, when jamming with others, or just to sketch ideas.
- In all cases, FingerFiddle is a musical instrument that is always right at your fingertips, whenever you feel the need to play music.
- Natural mapping between movement and sound: your finger is the bow !
- Outstanding sound rendering for a realistic output
- Pitch is controlled with a fingerboard on the screen to allow fiddle-specific playing techniques (vibrato, glissando, chords)
- The fingerboard is customizable: set its width and the space between notes for a comfortable playing
- A specific area is dedicated to pizzicato playing
- Inter-App Audio / Audiobus support (generator)
- Very low memory requirement: no samples library is used
- Inter App Audio and Audiobus support
- The basic version includes the Cello from the Classic Collection. Other instruments are available as In App purchases (Violin, Viola, Double Bass, normal or with mutes)
- Compatibility with all IOS devices
- Improved reverberation engine
- Implementation of several possible interface layouts
- Redesign of settings menu
- Scale settings to display various scales on the fingerboard
- Fixed bug with audio when the sample rate is changed
- Various improvements with graphic design
FingerFiddle is on the app store and costs a mere $2.99: