This is a very interesting time for ‘casual’ music making. This is the third app that’s arrived in this class in as many weeks. Prior to this we’ve had Skram from Liine, and Blocs Wave from Blocs (Novation’s new app focussed sub-brand. Not that this space is getting crowded, not in the least. On the contrary, it is an area that positively begs for more people to get involved. However, that’s a conversation for another day. For now here’s what to expect from Remixlive …
App description …
The essential app for instant remixing, powered by pro samples. Remix music with synced loops, sounds & FX.
Mixvibes, the pioneer of digital djing, introduces the perfect remix toolbox: lay down samples on a grid of pads and tweak them in seconds. Don’t have any production hardware? Remixlive is all you need to turn ideas into high-quality tracks.
Want to create unique songs? Record live input through the device’s microphone and capture any sound, voice or instrument. Fine-tune your samples like in a DAW production software by editing their length and envelope (ADSR). Play several samples per column in multiple mode to create rich and layered sounds.
Remixlive is optimized for live performance: change the tempo, adjust samples’ tone or play them in reverse mode, all in real time!
- Grid: 24 pads on iPhone, 48 on iPad.
- 48 samples per pack: beats, basslines, melodies, vocals and FX samples.
- 15 sample packs, ranging from Hip-Hop to Dubstep – and more to come.
- Artist pack by legendary DJ/producer Carl Cox and more to be added.
- Create new packs by mixing and matching samples from existing packs.
- Sample packs by world-famous sound design studio Loopmasters.
- Instant FX pad: Delay, Filter, Flanger, Reverb and more.
- Loop your track with beat-repeat pads, from 2 to 1/16.
- Live BPM control: change tempo on the fly without stopping the music.
- Multiple mode: play several pads per column, simultaneously.
- Control levels and filters for each column.
- Trigger an entire line of samples at once with just a swipe.
- Record performance in high quality audio (AAC).
- Share recordings by email or open them in your device’s other music apps.
- Edit Play mode (loop, one-shot, gate), Quantize, Gain, ADSR, Pan, Loop division, Reverse.
- Import your own samples from iTunes.
- Record any sound or voice through the mic – with an optional overdub.
- Load, move and duplicate any sample, anywhere on the grid.
- Transpose: raise or lower the tone of your samples.
- HQ audio limiter.
- Ultra-accurate BPM detection.
And last but not least, the app is universal: buy it once and use it on your iPad & your iPhone!
Remixlive is free (with IAPs) on the app store:
Some very brief first thoughts …
So this app is free, but of course with a range of IAPs for sample packs, advanced features and FX too. To be honest that isn’t surprising at all. Three of the packs are currently free as well.
If you’re familiar with Novation’s LaunchPad app then you’ll be right at home with this too. It’ll make perfect sense.
It is fun to use, pretty intuitive and I’m sure will appeal to a lot of users. It’ll be interesting to see where it goes next.
It doesn’t have Audiobus, which I know will be a downside to some users. Perhaps they’ll add that soon enough, I don’t know, but it does seem to have general pasteboard, so you can get your recordings out with relative ease.