Ok, if you wanted to be 100% accurate then this isn’t cassette based, but it is tape based of course, reel to reel to be precise. Even so, it also goes to show just how tapes and cassettes have impacted how we think about recording.
Another app with strong ties to the world of the cassette is Audio Mastering Studio which is a great app and can give you just about any final mastering feel.
If you don’t know it then it’s worth checking out, especially on Cassette Store Day 2015:
So I was thinking about apps that are in themselves a bit tape-ish, and I thought about AUFX:Dub, which specifically has tape simulation controls. I think this is quite awesome actually. It does amaze me that tapes have had such a big impact on how we think about things in music technology.
AUFX:Dub on the app store:
So it seems that people have liked to use cassettes for all sorts of things, namely this find at CDM back in 2007. I’ve no idea if this went any further or not, but even if it didn’t it, it was still a lovely idea.
MultiTrack DAW is one of the best multitracks for iOS in my view and also one that’s been around the longest, since 2011. Version 4.0 has appeared with no warning or teasing as usual and is packed with new features and fixes too.
- Freeze tracks – drastically reduces processing for tracks with IAA effects, and frees up the plugins for use on other tracks.
- Loop Recording – allows continuous overwriting while it loops. Stop and undo after a good take.
- Smaller audio buffers – sizes of 64 are now supported for low latency monitoring.
- Rewritten audio engine for perfectly clean audio quality.
- Volume/pan adjustments are filtered and interpolated, no ‘zippering’.
- Compressor uses exponential gain reduction metering.
- Long-Touch zipped song project icon now has ‘Open in’ button for sharing the zip.
- Final mixdown now uses loop markers as song start and end.
- Final mixdown won’t overwrite older mixdowns with same name.
- All sorting/ordering uses numeric sort (Song, Shared, Inputs, IAA effects, generators, instruments).
- Silence rendered to IAA plugins when doing mixdown/copy operation, to flush out buffers.
- Wi-Fi web server lists songs in same order as shown in multitrack.
- Track and bin download filenames now contain the song name as prefix.
- Fix an iPhone 6S bug with missing tabs (Export, Shared, and Upgrades).
- Fix iOS 9 bug with 2 finger pinch zooming sometimes popping back to another zoom level.
- Fix retina displays sometimes not able to open the Hotbox with a Long-Touch.
- Fix an Audiobus monitoring bug where no sound would be heard unless ‘Input Monitoring’ was on.
- Fix a bug when drag reordering 3 or more IAA track plugins.
- New Audiobus lib should fix the samplerate issues on iPhone 6S with internal speaker/mic.
- Fix a buffer size bug on cold start.
- Fix lights on compressor gain reduction meter being stuck sometimes when turning it off.
- SoundCloud fixes.