With all this talk of modular smartphones the one thing that I find is constantly missing is how the OS is going to support this modularity. Personally I love the idea of a modular phone. I think it has a huge amount of promise on a number of fronts such as usability, personalisation, avoiding obscelesence, and more. But my constant thought is what about the OS. How will that work? For the most part these devices are going to be android powered. That’s sort of a given, but why not have a truly modular OS? Something new? Something that’s built specifically for a modular hardware platform.
So, that’s my question and also what I see as the incongruity of the modular phone movement.
Of course to a degree they will have a modular OS in some ways. Even with android the OS will need to be able to respond to different modules possibly hot swapping in and out but still it relies on android and that to a large extent is a shortcoming in my opinion.
In many ways I’d like to hope that at least of these modular projects could actually have its own truly modular OS. I don’t know what that could look like but I get the feeling that it would be a real innovation.
All of the Korg apps are on sale up to the 21st of August, so grab a bargain whilst you can. Here’s what’s on offer:
I’ve posted about Monovista going free a while ago, but I wanted to give you a little reminder about the app as it is a huge amount of fun and well worth getting if you don’t have it already.
It used to cost $1.99 but now it’s free.
This is what the developer has to say about it …
Here’s what’s new in TubeSynth:
- Collaboration with new app TubeMIDI!!
- Color Palette and color editor.
- NOISE1 and NOISE2 are combined to Noise.
- STEP interpolation is changed to Sigmoid interpolation.
- New interpolation – Zigzag.
- Sigmoid interpolation between key waves.
- Spectrum analysis.
- Attack and Release time.
Here’s what’s new in Voice Rack: FX – Vocal Effects Processor:
- External MIDI control of preset selection, tap tempo, etc..
- Tap tempo enabled for all echo-based presets.
- Select from 5 vocal sound favourites.
- Significant pitch shift quality improvements.
- Improved GUI layout and smoother vocal FX scrolling
- Talk mode for when you want to address your audience temporarily bypassing FX.
- Run audio in the background setting.
- Significant under-the-hood optimizations
- No more crashing with certain inter-app audio connections!