Here’s what’s new with BeatHawk 1.0.4:
- File compatibility, added support for: AIFF, AIFC and CAF
- IAA behaviour, added: MIDI Sync-to-Host
- IAA behaviour, added: ‘HOST SYNC’ button above transport (available when IAA host is connected), when Host Sync is enabled BeatHawk mirrors host timeline, tempo and transport controls (in both Edit and Song modes)
- BeatHawk startup behaviour, changed functionality: sessions now persist (current project is saved on Quit and reloaded at next launch)
- Track/Erase, added: ‘Erase CC Only’
- Edit mode, added: ‘REDO’ button
- Song mode/Delete region, changed functionality: after deleting a region the next region is selected
- Song mode/Delete region, changed functionality: holding Delete button repeats function
- Various bug fixes and optimizations
And don’t forget that the launch pricing for BearHawk will end on the 19th, that’s this Sunday, when the app’s price will go up to $9.99 (it’s $4.99 at the moment).
This really is a huge update and only on a 1.0.3 release. I wonder what the 1.1 will look like? Anyway, here’s what’s new:
- Stereo Support :
- All loopers can now record stereo sources from audio hardware or other apps.
- Dual Mono is used when sampling a mono audio source.
- Stereo WAV files are created when copying or saving loops.
- Panning a stereo sourced track balances the left and right channels.
- Supports up to 4 stereo hardware sources (i.e. 8 mono audio tracks bussed to four stereo loopers).
- Audio File Paste :
- Audio files can be pasted into empty loop tracks from the general pasteboard.
- Press-and-hold on an empty loop track after copying audio from another app.
- Support for pasting stereo and mono files.
- If the there are no loops playing, then the first paste will determine Everest’s BPM.
- Automatic Fades on Loop Ends/Seams :
- There is a now an option, on by default, to add a short fade out on the end of a loop and short fade in on the beginning of the loop.
- This helps remove unwanted clicks from sampled audio that spans the edges of the loop.
- Fades are also applied to edited, windowed, and reversed loops.
- Loop History Recall
- Now accessible via MIDI, every edit, recording, or windowing of a loop track is instantly restorable.
- Using a partitioned ranges of MIDI CC 70, instantly jump to any loop version, all without losing sync.
- MIDI Improvements :
- Added dedicated, named, Core MIDI endpoint. Receive MIDI directly from other apps that can discover and connect to endpoints.
- MIDI hardware devices and their corresponding input ports are now dynamically updated whenever any devices are added or removed.
- Other Updates :
- New Hardware, Inter-App Audio and Audiobus routing interface lets you pre-select and save your favorite audio-to-looper mapping.
- Improved general Inter-App Audio Effect tempo and transport synchronization.
- Fixed sporadic issue where the press-and-hold of the Record button would fail to erase the loop and/or trigger a new recording.
- Fixed issue where the fourth Audiobus sender app/input slot was not being sampled/routed properly.
- Beat display now changes when a quantized loop window snaps in and out of sync.
- Added colored Audiobus trigger buttons to show play/record/stopped state of each selected looper.
- Overdub mode now frequently redraws waveform to show recent changes.
“Some more progress on Masterpiece’s prototype, although I got a little tiny bit lost on a tangent. This week I’m talking about graphics performance and reacquainting myself with OpenGL, and affordance in animation. Also, I found an amusing little piece of memorabilia.”
Algorithm sounds interesting but is also a bit expensive for what it is. Anyway, you should make up your own mind. Here are the app’s details:
Algorithm is a beautiful synthesizer for iPad designed to recreate the sounds of classic video games like Zelda, Metroid and Metal Gear Solid. Algorithm harnesses the power of band-limited waveforms to deliver classic sound harkening back to the golden age of sound design. Equally fit for the studio or the stage, the 5 oscillator shapes, ADSR envelope filter, and arpeggiator provides the essential tools to craft custom electronic sounds.
- 5 Oscillator Types
- ADSR Envelope Filter
- Noise Generator
- Tremelo LFO
- Vibrato LFO
- Pitch Shift
- Kill Switch
- 7 Octave Keyboard
The app costs $9.99