Well it has arrived, Casio’s first ‘real’ music app. Here are the details …
This app reproduces the functionality of Casio’s best-selling CZ-series models, such as the CZ-101 (first released in 1984), and also includes new functions.
Featuring a built-in 4-part PD (phase distortion) sound source, its 36
waveforms are capable of generating an extensive and diverse range of sounds. The created tones can also be played on MIDI-compatible instruments.
The PD sound source system
Phase Distortion (PD) works by distorting a sine wave when it is read so that various different waveforms are produced.At the time, it was a ground-breaking system for generating waveforms other than simple sine waves.
An extensive parameter set to allow richly varied sound creation
Two block configuration systems are provided for each of the DCO, DCW and DCA
- WAVE FORM (DCO1/DCO2)
- Parameters to set basic waveforms.
- KEY FOLLOW
- One Key Follow feature (DCW1/DCW2) controls waveforms based on the upper and lower extent of the keyboard’s register while the other Key Follow feature (DCA1/DCA2) controls the envelope duration based on the keyboard’s register
- DETUNE/LINE SELECT
- CZ-series synthesizers allowed users to choose from 4 types of line output (1, 2, 1+2 or 1+1) depending on the purpose. Using 2 DCOs allowed the use of detuning to fine-tune the pitch shift in the two systems to within ±4 octaves, which is useful not only in creating a chorus effect, but also for producing sounds with specific harmonics emphasized.
- RING/NOISE MODULATION
- Ring modulation can be used to produce metallic tones that include non-integer harmonics, while noise modulation is effective in creating percussion-like sounds.
- ENVELOPE GENERATOR
- An envelope generator is provided for each DCO, DCW and DCA core block in the two systems, which makes it possible to vary the tuning, tones and volume over time.
Play along to your favorite audio files
You can use the keyboard to play along to audio files on an iPad.
Multi-play mode combines keyboard layouts toallow new ways of playing
The new performance interface lets you can combine 2, 3 or 4 keyboards, or even flip the layout so that other people can play along with you.
Supports external MIDI instruments and inter-app collaboration
- Inter-App Audio
- Audiobus compatible (input only)
- Playable using an external MIDI keyboard(via a third-party MIDI interface, an Apple Lightning-USB camera adapter* plus USB cable, or the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit* plus USB cable)
CZ App for iPad costs $19.99