MidiPatterns is a multitrack, pattern-oriented, MIDI step sequencer. You can use it as a simple drum machine, or to handle complex multi-timbral, polyphonic scores, controlling multiple hardware and software synthesizers at once. Please note that MidiPatterns does not generate sounds by itself.
- virtually unlimited number of polyphonic midi tracks(*) per document
- output to multiple MIDI devices, directly connected or linked through a network
- virtually unlimited number of patterns(*) per document, each with a size variable between 1 and 256 steps and specific time signature settings
- each step in a track can send volume plus 8 midi controller messages
- randomizing capabilities to improve expressiveness: notes properties (velocity, duration, probability, swing) and step controller messages can be set to change subtly and randomly during playback
- patterns can be assembled in variable length sequences
- imports and exports MIDI files(*)
- MIDI clock synchronization, both as master and as slave
- articulated mute and solo configuration
- powerful, interactive quick help mode
- tap tempo function
- metronome precount and sound options
- virtual input and output MIDI devices
- variable score grid size
(*) The ability to manage an unlimited number of tracks, patterns and sequences and the midi file import and export feature require in-app purchases.
As mentioned it’s free, but based on a freemium model.