Whilst there isn’t currently a huge market for music making on Android I think that all of that is about to change. Samsung have just been in touch with me and shared this:
- The Pro-Audio SDK 2.0 provides low-latency audio and MIDI functionality to Samsung Android devices, and it also has zero-latency Audio/MIDI connections between independent music apps.
- Soundcamp is a Samsung-developed mobile DAW app that harnesses the full power of the Pro-Audio SDK and can be integrated with multiple 3rd party music apps for up to 8 tracks.
They have already started working with several music app innovators in these areas.
Professional Audio provides the following features:
- Musical Instrument Creation
- API for creating professional instrument applications
- Support for all functions of the JACK Audio Connection Kit
- Plug-ins for acoustic piano, steel guitar and a standard drum kit
- Support for USB Audio devices
- Support for Audio input
- Usage of the real-time scheduler
- It can make a connection between apps at the SDK level
- It is easier to move to other apps and support its remote control
Now this is pretty amazing stuff and has the potential to really change the face of Android music making.
Also, Musical Android picks up on this news too. So Android could really be starting to catch up. I really hope so, it is about time.