Secret Base bring us a new controller app. Here’s what it is …
The best MIDI controller is the one that you have with you. Double Decker transforms an ordinary Bluetooth keyboard into a sophisticated MIDI controller, giving you a much bigger playing surface, while still being portable.
The app features a state-of-the-art Soundfont engine, advanced MIDI routing capability, support for Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth, and even Audiobus!
Press a key on the Bluetooth keyboard to trigger a note. When you touch another key, the first note is silenced as the next note is played. With iOS, a key press can be detected, but not a key release; the automatic silencing of notes lets you play in a smooth and natural manner. Tapping the space bar will silence all sounding notes. Double Decker can only detect keystrokes when it is in the foreground.
The keys are arranged with the two middle rows in a piano-style formation. Play a second instrument using the bottom row of keys, and two more instruments using the number keys and punctuation. Each key can be configured to trigger either a single note or a chord.
A second arrangement of the keyboard divides things into four grids, four-by-four each. This is great for finger drumming, and triggering samples and sequences.
Double Decker supports Soundfonts, opening up a world of different tones. The app also has full support for MIDI, giving almost unlimited sonic potential. Using the MIDI Learn feature in apps such as Loopy and Genome, you can start and stop recording, play synthesizers, and switch tracks, all with a Bluetooth keyboard.
If you have multiple iOS devices, you can link them together using the low latency connection provided by Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth. Run Double Decker in the foreground on one device to catch keystrokes, and then send MIDI to a second device, which can have a synthesizer or sequencer app in the foreground.
Key features of the app are the following:
* Innovative use of an external keyboard to trigger notes.
* Keyboard arranged into two groups, each with four different playing regions.
* Each region can be assigned a Soundfont patch, a set of MIDI destinations, or both.
* Soundfonts can be added using “open in” or iTunes file sharing.
* Each key in each region is configurable as either a note or a chord, with independent velocity control.
* Key configurations can be saved as presets, shared through email, or downloaded from the web.
* The app supports the Audiobus “input” slot.
* Built-in support as a Apollo MIDI over Bluetooth “A” endpoint.
Please visit the Secret Base Design web site for more information, Video demos, and links to reviews.
The app is priced at $1.99