Sequential for iPad arrives and looks pretty awesome actually.
Instantly reshape any loop beyond imaginable. Create amazing breaks, fills and transitions. Turn even the simplest sounds into unique animated textures. Sequential is an extremely fun yet versatile app for animated effect processing.
Sequential lets you load audio samples for looped playback and apply up to 11 different effects in a rhythmical order. It includes many classic algorithms such as low- and high-pass filters, flanger, resonator, bit crusher, but goes much further with Sinevibes’ trademark wave transformer, circuit bender and even synthesizers controlled by the sound’s dynamics.
Creating effect patterns with Sequential is more game than workflow. With its bold shapes, clever color coding and all-round use of animations, it feels alive and almost connected straight to your brain. All parameters you change are saved along the audio files and recalled without you even noticing — everything just works the way you think it should.
Whatever you hear coming out of Sequential can be recorded, even if you activate recording as you play. Moreover, all recordings are trimmed precisely to a bar, meaning you will always get audio that loops rhythmically.
Sequential comes with a tasty selection of bass and rhythm loops in a wide variety of music styles, including house, drum’n’bass, r’n’b, dubstep, trap, hardstyle, electro, and more.
You can import your own loops and export recordings both via the general pasteboard and iTunes file sharing. Sequential supports .wav and .aiff files in 16 bit 44.1 KHz format.
Sequential for iPad is priced at $4.99.
Fugue is a 16-track MIDI sequencer that allows you to create complex sequences using a few simple controls.
To avoid any confusion, this app does not produce any audible sounds. It is designed to be used with MIDI-compatible apps on your iPad, a WIFI network session to control your DAW software or via a dedicated iOS MIDI interface (e.g. Line6 MIDI Mobilizer) to control outboard hardware.
MIDI is output to all available devices. By default, it will always output to a WIFI MIDI network session.
How does it work?
There is a single sequence of notes. There are 16 tracks that are capable of playing that sequence, each of which has its own independent set of properties.
Press ‘Edit sequence’
This is where you specify your 16-note sequence. The note range goes from A0 all the way up to C7 (the full range of a piano)
Press ‘Cycle track properties’
This is where you specify the properties of each of the sixteen tracks. Each column on the graphics represents track 1 to 16.
Pressing ‘Cycle track properties’ repeatedly switches between the following properties:
- Track Speed (bpm): choose the speed for each track from a range of 1 to 240 beats per minute.
- Track Note Length (%): choose the length of the note for each track. The note length is a percentage of time between beats. You could specify a high note length on a track with a low track speed to get some nice atmospheric held notes. Alternatively you could specify a low note length on a track with a high track speed and get some nice arpeggiator effects!
- Track MIDI Channel: choose the MIDI channel for the track. By default these are set from 1 to 16 for each track respectively.
- Track Velocity: choose the velocity (or force) that the sequence of notes is played on this track. The higher the velocity, the louder, or more emphasised the resulting sound. Do bear in mind that the app, virtual instrument or hardware synth must respond to velocity in order to hear the effect of this property.
This plays your sequence. Pressing again will stop playback.
Note that when you press play, all of the tracks are bought back in sync with each other. A small graphical indicator beneath the columns shows you when each track is triggered and how far through the 16 note sequence each track is.
What’s coming in the future?
- Ability to ‘turn off’ a note in the sequence to create a ‘rest’
- Ability to save sequences
- Ability to save track settings
- Ability to select MIDI devices to output to
- Ability to send MIDI CC messages to automate your synths!
- In keeping with the name of the app, the ability to manipulate your note sequence in a variety of interesting ways!
- A basic audible preview
And, it’s free!
Some more of me messing around with the littlebits kit.