Miselu have been hard at work bringing something new to work with your iPad. It’s pretty amazing stuff in my view, and you can find it on Kickstarter!
Here’s what they have to say about it:
The Music Keyboard for iPad
The C.24 is a two octave wireless music keyboard designed for iPad. The ultra portable C.24 transforms from a protective cover into a piano-style keyboard at the touch of a spring-loaded latch.
The use of anti-polarity magnets creates the semi-weighted feel of the keyboard. By using magnets instead of traditional springs reliability and longevity are extended.
Each key press is sensed by an infrared emitter detector pair providing real time analog position data. Optical key tracking technology delivers MIDI velocity, monophonic aftertouch as well as detailed performance capabilities.
Just above the keyboard is the capacitive ribbon controller. The ribbon extends across the width of the keyboard and is divided into two regions, each with 32 embedded LEDs for visual feedback. The left region is configured to function as eight buttons, by default assigned to shift the keyboard’s octave assignment. The right region is designed for analog expression such as pitch bend.
We didn’t stop at keys and ribbon controls…
Our team designed an open standard for hardware expansion modules.Tactile controls such as knobs, faders and XY pads will be available in the future. This allows you to configure your C.24 based on your performance requirements. Third parties have already started work on innovative modules.
Communication and compatibility
The C.24 communicates to the iPad via Bluetooth Low Energy. We developed an open standard for CoreMIDI over Bluetooth. This technology can be used by any developer to transmit and receive MIDI wirelessly to compatible iOS devices.
Miselu’s KEY application makes it possible to use Bluetooth devices to make music. KEY allows you to assign your keyboard’s output to any CoreMIDI compatible iOS application. You can also save presets, allowing you to quickly change your setup during a performance.
Performance and Modulation
- 24 semi-weighted music keys with velocity and monophonic after touch sensitivity
- Octave shift via 8 buttons covers 9 octaves (32 LEDs indicate range)
- Pitch bend (32 LEDs reflect performance)
- Slot for drop in hardware control modules
- Wireless operation via Bluetooth Low Energy
- External Buttons and Connectors
- Bluetooth pairing button
- Power / reset button
- Micro USB
Power and Battery:
- Powered by rechargeable lithium ion battery, charging via Micro USB
Dimensions (W x D x H)
- Closed:242 mm, 185.7 mm, 10.1 mm
- Open: 242 mm, 201.3 mm, 28.5 mm
- Apple iOS 6.0 or newer
- iOS Applications must support CoreMIDI
- Bluetooth Low Energy is support by iPad 3, 4 and iPad mini
- iPad 1 & 2 compatible via USB connection, requires Apple’s Camera Connection Kit
- Micro USB cord
- Hardware control modules released in coming months !!!!