I’ve been writing this blog since 2006 and in that time I think it’s fair to say that the main focus of it has been around software (or apps as we now seem to refer to it). Hardware has played a part but a smaller one on the whole.
However, increasingly I seem to find that I’m drawn to hardware these days. A friend recently bought a Kaossilator 2, which is a device I’ve been considering for some time now, and I’ve been on the verge of buying an OP-1 on countless occasions.
So what is it that draws me (us?) to hardware more than software? Is it simply the pull of a physical object that can be unboxed, held, connected with? Is it a reaction to apps being centre stage for such a sustained period?
Personally I’m not sure, I seem to move between liking the physical object to preferring the ability to have everything in a single device. In fact, I’m not sure that there is an answer, perhaps it is just a cyclical thing.
Anyway, I thought I’d share this and see if anyone else had any thoughts on it.
A simple little sample player app. Here’s what to expect:
Add audio effects to the soundtrack of your life.
SAMPL allows you to play your own sounds from a customizable button interface. Sound files can be easily added to the app via iTunes file sharing.
- Easy to use, hardware-like user interface
- Customizable button assignment
- Switchable button labels
- Wooden side panels
Supported audio file formats/extensions:
- AAC (.m4a)
- MP3 (.mp3, obviously)
- AIFF (.aif, .aiff, .aifc)
- WAVE (.wav, .bwf)
- Core Audio Format (.caf)
SAMPL is free at the app store.
Some people make amazing stuff using Sunvox.
What a totally awesome little drum machine.
A load of fixes come up for Lemur:
- Fix ephemeral MultiBalls label display
- Improve object labels horizontal offset
- Improve resolution menu alignment in Editor
- Improve text alignment in Editor property pane
- Improve Editor tree display
- Fix Mac MIDI input
- Fix Lemur MIDI input
- Fix tabbification of Containers containing Containers
- Change gamma on small fonts
- Improve font gamma
- Improve font alignments
- Revert Knob object to thicker lines
- Improve fonts dpi and use same fonts in all apps
- Invert page button colors
- Rewrite CoreMIDI wrappers
- Fix variables corruption when passing invalid parameters to
MIDI script functions
- Fix skipping of certain Daemon packets