Here’s an interesting idea for an MP3 player from Tascam. An MP3 that thinks it is a guitar player’s multi-track. Cool idea, although I’m not entirely sure if I’d use it.
I guess it would be useful for learning guitar, although it seems to me that there would be better devices for that kind of thing? The Zoom series of multi-tracks always struck me as being very guitarist friendly although they didn’t have the option of slowing down / cancelling out which this device does.
There doesn’t seem to be an expansion memory slots, which is odd as the capacity is only 240 songs.
Overall I think the concept is a good one, but I’m not sure that the song capacity is high enough. I could be wrong though.
Here’s the information from the Tascam site:
TASCAM’s MP-GT1 is the first MP3 player designed for musicians. Based on the award-winning CD-GT1mkII, this fun mobile guitar trainer includes enough memory to store up to 240 songs. Guitar parts can be slowed down, looped and even eliminated to help you learn new riffs. Play back MP3s using Variable Speed Audition, which slows down the speed without changing the pitch, and sections can be seamlessly looped while practicing tricky passages. Songs can even be pitched up or down to match the tuning of your guitar, so you don’t have to re-tune for every song.
The guitar input lets you rock along with thick overdrive and multi-effects, including a guitar canceller so you can play along with your favorite bands. A tuner, metronome, and rechargeable battery are also built-in. All of this is packed into an MP3 player smaller than a stomp box, so stuff it in your backpack, gig bag or back pocket and hit the road.
The MP-GT1 uses a high-speed USB connection to load up MP3s and charge the built-in battery (an optional power supply is also available). Zip through your MP3 collection using a data wheel, dedicated buttons and a graphical LCD display. A rechargeable 9-hour lithium ion battery is built into the unit, and an optional power supply is also available.
Put 240 songs in your gig bag with the MP-GT1, the first MP3 player for musicians.
- 240-song memory capacity (based on average 4-minute MP3 encoded at 128kbps)
- Variable Speed Audition changes the speed of the MP3 playback without changing the pitch
- Pitch control in 1% steps so you don’t have to re-tune
- Seamless looping for practicing tricky passages
- High-impedance 1/4″ guitar input
- Guitar multi-effects include overdrive, distortion, delay, flange, reverb and more
- Guitar Cancel effect eliminates the guitar part from the recorded song so you can play along
- Built-in tuner, oscillator and metronome
- 1/8″ Headphone output
- Built-in rechargeable battery with 9-hour reserve
- 128×64 graphic LCD display
- USB jack
- Auto Power Off and Hold function